Winds of change I

When Thranduil arrived back into the realm, everyone was preparing for the feast. As he walked by the busy halls, Alma and another royal kitchen maid came running towards him.

'My lord', Alma started with her crystalline voice, 'The food is nearly ready for the banquet though we are arguing on which desert is best to serve. Shall we prepare fruit pies or Lissi cakes?'

'The latter', Thranduil replied. 'We have important guests tonight. Are the tables set?'

'Yes, my lord. I believe Miriel has already instructed Pelerien and Medhren on how to finish the display.'

'Good. We shall need music also. Tell her to prepare the musicians to start in about two hours.'

'Of course, my King', the elleths replied, bowing their heads and then rushing away.

Thranduil was happy to see Galion waiting for him outside of his private chamber and felt ready to take refuge inside even if only for a short time. He gave his servant an amused glance and wondered for how long had Galion been waiting there. 

'Has lady Tauriel come out yet?', Thranduil asked. 

'No, my lord, she hasn't', Galion replied, looking a bit confused.

'Wait for me here, I will call you in.', Thranduil said and walked inside.

The light inside his chamber was now dim and soft. Tauriel was with her back at him, gazing upon herself in his wide, silver mirror, trying to adjust the woodland crown over her head. 'Who knew such crown would suit her so well?', Thranduil thought to himself. The braided pattern and the small woodland flowers and leaves were incredibly beautiful upon her long, red locks, as if she was an extension of the forest itself. The dress he had prepared for her was falling upon her small figure so well. 

He could notice a smile on her face in the mirror and a radiant energy emanating from her. Thranduil could feel that she appreciated the simple cut of her dress instead of something more flamboyant as it represented her better; he knew her all too well by now. Even so, that simple yet elegant cut made her look noble which was something Thranduil had never seen in Tauriel before. The little gems attached to the white dress were shining like snow in the moonlight. She looked ethereal and earthy at the same time, like a princess of the forest, bound to the rivers, the frost, the branches. 

He remained silent for just a few moments, taking in this whole new image of Tauriel in front of him. Then she sensed his presence and turned around, her hands still upon her woodland crown, and she smiled at him. That warm, seductive and familiar smile he knew so well... He felt mesmerized by her image yet all he could say was:

'It looks well on you.'

Thranduil approached her. 

'Well, I think I should do for the occasion.', she started, though having a flustered smile and looking upon the long, fitted white sleeves that covered her arms and finished in a lace pattern. 

'You are more than fitting', he spoke with a warm, velvety voice and a smile. 'You look truly regal.'

'Though I myself am astonished at my own reflection and find the attire as breath-taking as starlight, I hope you do not expect me to dress like this every day.', Tauriel continued with a playful expression. 

'You dress as you wish, my love. You are still captain of the Woodland Realm. I have already ordered some new fighting clothes for you which I believe you would be more comfortable with instead.'

She looked at him a little surprised and smiled as if she appreciated that he understood her and wasn't trying to change her. Thranduil's gaze fell upon the White Gem necklace that fell over her collarbones. She was also wearing the matching bracelet he had gifted her after their first nights together.