A place called home

As the evening fell, Thranduil was back from the forest and he was now alone with Legolas in his private chamber.

'So what is it that you would like to talk to me about?', he asked looking casually towards his son, a glass of wine in his hand.

Legolas sighed and looked like he did not know how to begin but then he found the courage and spoke:

'You know of course of my closeness to King Elessar. He has been my dear friend and we shared many adventures together and went through many perils.'

Thranduil nodded and Legolas continued:

'He offered me land in Ithilien if I wished to settle there, closer to his realm.'

Legolas paused and Thranduil watched him carefully with a little frown.

'He said I could bring some elves there from Mirkwood and create an elven colony in Ithilien.'

A little pause followed.

'An elven colony?', Thranduil repeated. 'You wish to settle there?'

Legolas nodded.

'It is my desire to do so, yes.'

'And you plan to take my subjects and make this happen? Is this what you have been talking about with them these long hours ever since your arrival here?'

His tone was calm but there was anger behind it and he knew Legolas could sense it.

'I have only spoken about it to a few. Some are interested in helping me settle the colony there, some aren't. But first I need your approval in doing so.'

'I should hope so, unless you plan to take my subjects away behind my back.'

'Father, please. I did not arrange for anything behind your back. I only made my intentions known.'

They stood silent for a few moments, then Thranduil spoke with a more soothing voice:

'When do you plan to set up this colony?'

'As soon as possible.', Legolas replied with honesty. 'I will stay a little while here, go with you to purge Gundabad and then I can follow my plans.'

Thranduil looked at Legolas with mixed feelings. 'Why?' was the question that kept popping in his head. Why did his son need to establish this colony? Was he not happy staying in Greenwood? Was it simply because he wanted to be closer to Aragorn? He held silent and went to the small table to pour himself some wine.

'You have my permission.', Thranduil said after a long pause. 'Though I need to approve of the subjects you are going to take away from this realm.'

Legolas nodded.

'Of course. I want to have your blessing. And I shall hope I will benefit from your wisdom and advice in creating this new elven settlement.'

Thranduil looked at Legolas a bit surprised that his son had the intention to involve him in his plan. He suddenly hoped that the wounds between them were fully healed.

'You have my support.'

After Legolas left, Thranduil stood for long moments thinking about their conversation and about his son's intentions to establish a new elven settlement in a time when few elves remained in Middle-Earth. Perhaps it was better for Legolas to have his own realm to rule. Perhaps that would have given his son a sense of purpose after the end of the war. In the Woodland Realm, he was always walking in his shadow. Here, he was just the King's son, but now Legolas had the opportunity to be much more than that. Thranduil decided it was actually a good thing to happen. He would help Legolas from the distance and two kindred elven realms would exist to cooperate and collaborate, one far away in the Northern wilderness and one closer to the heart of Gondor, the realm of men.