Family matters

The war was over and with that, Legolas' mission too. Tauriel had both dreaded and desired that moment. As she walked by the busy halls, everyone was whispering and talking about the prince's return. It might have meant a permanent return this time. Tauriel hoped that this might bring definitive healing in Legolas' relationship with both her and Thranduil. Legolas was often cryptical, much like Thranduil in a way. His heart was more open to others yet he rarely disclosed his deepest feelings and if there was something nagging at him, he preferred to keep it for himself. 

Tauriel recalled the last time Legolas briefly returned to the kingdom. The conversations with him had been at best confusing. He seemed to want to maintain friendliness with her as if there was no bad blood between them which she felt glad at the time...still, he only seemed half-pleased at her visibly changed relationship with Thranduil, as if he was trying to hide behind a mask of indifference.

It was during the Spring Equinox Feast, after the few brief dances they shared, that she went outside, overwhelmed by her feelings for Thranduil and her feelings about Legolas' sudden return, when Legolas came to speak with her. It was the first time they were alone since the battle in Dale and everything that happened around that time. As she turned towards him, his blue eyes fixated upon her with a familiar icy, cryptical gaze that she had seen many times in Thranduil. Legolas came closer.

'You are still here, I see.', he said and had a strange smile on his lips that could have been half-friendly, half-sarcastic.

'Still here.', she replied, trying to avoid staring back at him.

'I heard my father has forgiven you.'

'Yes.', she said and felt her cheeks become hot with a sudden nervousness.

'Are you no longer upset with him?', Legolas asked her with a little frown. 'I am surprised you chose to come back.'

Tauriel hesitated. She did not truly know how to explain all the reasons that made her return.

'I had nowhere else to go.'

Legolas studied her for a few moments as if he did not believe that was the real answer.

'You could come with me and fight.', he said. 'There is a war out there, Tauriel, and I do not plan to sit idly by anymore like my father does. Why do you linger here in this kingdom when you know he will not change his ways? You are needed elsewhere.'

'I am needed here.'

Her tone was firmer than she had expected. She did not want to give away her feelings.

'With you gone, there are few people close to your father to help him protect this realm. I cannot leave now.', she said and her tone was softer. 'I was wrong about him in many ways, Legolas.'

'You were right about him hiding behind these walls and not wanting to fight this war. He may desire to protect this realm but he cannot do so by avoiding the very root of evil that started it. He wanted me to return here at his command and abandon my mission to help destroy the Ring. You know this.', Legolas replied with a sharp tone. 

'He is afraid for your survival and for the survival of this kingdom. Please, do not judge him so harshly.'

Legolas inspected her expression, perhaps trying to find some answers he was hoping to find, and Tauriel felt uneasy at his gaze.

'I'm surprised to hear you speak like this of him.'

'People change.', she replied. 'I understand him better now and I no longer carry the same anger.'