Truce | 休戦 section 5

Sunlight shines through the kitchen windows when I walk in to whip up some breakfast. The house is quiet, my roommates probably taking their time getting up like every other Sunday morning. It's not until after I have a few strips of bacon sizzling in a frying pan that I look in the fridge and realize I forgot to buy eggs yesterday. I quickly slip into a pair of sneakers and make a trip to the convenience store.

As I'm on my way back home with a pack of eggs in hand, I notice a girl with black hair tied into pigtails stepping up to the door of my house. I squint my eyes at her before stopping in place when I recognize the dreaded floral green backpack. All my senses tell me to run for my life, but I don't have the chance to turn away before she spots me.

"Makoto!" she calls out in the high-pitched voice that has been putting chills between my shoulder blades since junior high school. She comes running toward me with open arms.

Turning around, I'm about to book it out of the neighborhood before my eggs almost slip out of my hand and I have to pause to catch them. As I'm doing so, Haruka captures me from behind and squeezes me.

"How did you get here?" I shout and wriggle my way out of her grasp.

"Auntie Kyoko gave me your address!" she responds cheerfully.

I curse under my breath. What was my mom thinking?

Before she can make another move, I dash for the house, almost dropping my eggs again when I slam the door in Haruka's face.

"Hey! What are you doing?" her muffled voice cries from the other side.

"I told you I can't see you today! Go home!" I shout back.

"But I just got here!" Her complaint is followed by banging on the door.

"What's going on?" I hear from behind me.

Turning around, I find Shun standing in the middle of the kitchen with a baffled look on his face. I'm about to explain the situation when I hear Haruka's voice turn into a scream.

"OPEN UP!" The shriek is followed by more violent banging.

"Jesus Christ," I mutter. I bet our neighbors are shocked. "You're being loud! Shut up and go away!"

"I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE UNTIL YOU OPEN THIS DOOR!"

Fuck this psycho. I need to find a way to get rid of her before she breaks the door. I look back over at Shun who is still standing there wide-eyed. He'll do.

"Shun, I need your help," I demand and grab his arm, leading him to the door. "Put on your shoes."

"What? Why?" He stumbles behind me.

"I'll explain later! Please just help me for a second," I plead.

Haruka's banging and screaming continue while Shun slips into his V-3 sneakers. As soon as he has them on, I swing the door open. Haruka pouts up at me with a red, teary face and her signature bushy eyebrows.

"I can't spend the day with you because I already have plans with my roommate," I say firmly, pointing to the guy next to me.

I don't give her a chance to respond before grasping Shun's arm and making a run for it up the street.

"Hey!" he calls out, but I'm too focused on getting away to answer.

When we hit the intersection, I drag Shun around the corner and down the station stairs. Once inside, he stops in place, causing me to lose my grip on his arm.

"What's going on?" he questions between heavy breaths.

"Did we lose her?" I peer up the stairs. "She's probably not far behind. We should go!"