Roommate | 何者 section 3

I spend my Saturday exploring the streets of Shibuya and Harajuku while trying to hide my smile every time my phone vibrates. I buy a new outfit from a thrift shop in the backstreets before heading to a cafe to sit down and browse Intogram posts for ideas on where to check out next. I'm only half focused on the posts, though, as I continuously switch back and forth between them and LIME every time I get a new message from Eriko. If she's replying to me this much, she must be into me too, right? I have a good feeling about Friday.

When I get home, Magnus is standing over a boiling pot, examining a package of instant noodles. He flashes me his huge smile.

"What did you buy?" he asks, eyeing the paper bag in my hand.

"Just some clothes," I say, showing him my recent purchase.

"Ah." He smiles even wider. "You have a nice fashion style."

"You think so?"

I'm pleased with the compliment. Being from a small town, most of my fashion inspiration had only come from Intogram. I've tried really hard to dress well since moving here.

We have a brief chat about how people dress in Norway and Hokkaido. He has something positive to say about every kind of person and clothing, giving me the impression that he's a really good guy. The total opposite of Shun.

Once he sits down at the table with his food, I head to my room.

I spend my first week of classes adjusting to school life, working shifts at Yumeya, chatting with my roommates, and messaging Eriko. All the usual stuff.

Sunday is the first day since moving to Tokyo that I don't run into Shun even once. After that, I get the feeling I'm seeing him at home and work less and less, but I'm still forced to remember his presence once the trouble Junichi and Daiki warned me about begins.

On Monday, I open the fridge to find a post-it note on my milk carton. Taking it out of its compartment, I discover it's much lighter than I remember it being.

Sorry, I thought it was mine and accidentally drank it.
– Shun

My name is written on the carton in big fat letters directly above the note. Sighing, I grab the magnet pen off the fridge door and use it to reply at the bottom of the post-it.

You can have the rest.

On Tuesday, I run my clothes through the laundry while cooking dinner. When I return later, I find them in a wet pile on the floor in front of the washing machine.

On Wednesday, I'm welcomed home by a bag of garbage sitting in front of my room door with another post-it note.

Dear Idol Wannabe,
Could you throw this out for me?
Thanks.

I push the garbage across the floor with my foot until it's against Shun's door, then fetch a bag of trash from my own room and slide it up next to his. Unfortunately, Kenji finds the garbage before Shun does and comes knocking on my door, ordering me to throw it out and stop picking on Shun.

On Thursday, my toothbrush is missing from its cup in the bathroom. I search all around the sink and inside the shelf behind the mirror but don't find it until I toss a tissue into the trashcan and notice a bright orange toothbrush peeking out from under other garbage. The following day, I find my new toothbrush has joined the old one in its grave.

Shun's "pranks" are annoying, but my mind is made up—I'm not moving out no matter how irritating it gets. Doing that would only make him think he's won. He has to get tired and give up at some point, but just in case, I move my shoes out of the shoebox by the front door and into my room. It would suck major balls to have vinegar poured on them.