Purity | 淳 section 2

At the start of the last week of summer vacation, Shun is out to meet friends in Yokohama. I lounge around the house watching Webflix and snacking for a while before remembering Koki's birthday. I finally leave the house in the late afternoon to look for a present.

It takes longer than I expected to pick out a gift. I can't decide whether to get him something serious or a gag gift. Two hours later, I finally settle on the latter and purchase a pair of briefs with Bite Me written on the back.

Having not eaten lunch, my stomach makes angry noises as I exit Don King to the busy Shinjuku sidewalk. I want to get food, but don't know if I should expect Shun to be home by dinner time. I pull out my phone.

Makoto
Hey where r u now?
R u gonna be back for dinner?
Wanna eat out?

Shun
Im heading to shinjuku station now
Sure!

Makoto
Im in shinjuku too!
How about we meet at the station and get
food somewhere in the area?

Shun
Oh really?? lol
What a coincidence🤓
Im headed for the south exit

He's already at the station? That was fast!

I quickly tuck my phone into my pocket and book it for Shinjuku Station, knowing it'll take me around ten minutes to get to the South Exit if I walk quickly. I imagine Shun exiting a platform and heading down an escalator. If he's coming from Yokohama, he's probably arriving on a JR line.

Nearing the South Exit, I climb up an escalator past a line of people. I'm a little out of breath when I reach the top, but continue to speed toward the station, keeping my eyes peeled for Shun. When I find him, I stop in place, realizing he's not alone. He's standing under the covered area directly outside of the ticket gates, chatting and laughing with Chiaki, Karen, and one other girl with pastel pink hair.

I watch for only a few seconds before Chiaki notices me, her smile fading. She says something to Shun, causing all four of them to turn and look at me. I tense up and internally curse my blond hair for making me stand out.

Shun looks the most surprised as if we hadn't just talked about meeting up here. He and Karen wave me over. I reluctantly comply.

"You're here already," Shun observes.

"I didn't know you were still with your friends," I say as I inch toward them. Never in my life has girls' stares made me feel quite this uncomfortable.

"Didn't you see my message?" Shun laughs.

"Message?" I hastily reach for my phone and find a LIME notification that managed to get by me unnoticed.

Shun
Im gonna see Chiaki and the others off
first so lets meet up after

I keep my eyes pointed down at the screen, realizing I'm the only one to blame for putting myself in this awkward situation.

"Is this your boyfriend, Shun?" An unfamiliar voice causes me to lift my head again. It's the pink-haired girl.

"Yeah," Shun says quietly as he flushes.

"Wow, what a looker!" the girl says in a bubbly tone, her eyes landing on me again. "What's your name?"

"Makoto," I almost mumble.

"Nice to finally meet you! I'm Mina."

"You too," I say, giving the best smile I can manage while Chiaki's eyes drill holes into my skull.

"Did you think Shun was alone?" Karen asks with a cheeky grin.

"I, uh," I rub the back of my neck. "Yeah."