Insecurity | 不安 section 1 [NSFW]

CONTENT WARNING: This section contains sexual content that may not be suitable for some readers.

Shun doesn't let up on where we're headed the morning I turn 19. He just tells me to pack an extra set of clothes since we'll be staying overnight. He pays for bullet train tickets at Tokyo Station and leads me to a platform with signs for Niigata.

On the way there, I try to guess where we're going, but Shun just smiles and shakes his head at every attempt. About an hour and a half later, he tells me we're getting off at Echigo Yuzawa.

Exiting the station, I look around curiously at a rural town surrounded by mountains and a vast autumn sky. As we walk along the narrow sidewalk, I feel a chill and zip up the jacket Shun advised I wear. It's been a while since I needed one. Compared to Tokyo, this place is already well into my favorite season.

Before I can ask where we're going again, Shun stops in front of a bus stop to examine its time schedule. We don't have to wait long before a bus displaying Dragondola pulls up to the curb.

"This is us," Shun announces.

"Dragondola," I read. "Are we going on a gondola?"

"You got it," he says with a smile.

We're taken through a windy road enclosed by green and yellow trees. By the time we arrive at the gondola, I've managed to convince Shun to tell me enough to know it's famous for being the biggest in Japan, the ride being around 25 minutes long. Still, I can't tell exactly why Shun wanted to bring me all the way to Niigata for a gondola. At least not until we're inside a cable car, taking off over a forest of golden trees.

We float over the most breathtaking foliage I've ever seen. Shun laughs while I lose it, especially when we descend toward a rocky river of transparent water.

"This is amazing," I comment, parking myself on the cushioned bench. "I haven't seen this much nature since moving to Tokyo."

"I'm glad you like it. I was afraid you'd say you've seen better in Hokkaido," Shun chuckles. "But I've always been curious about this place."

"Is this your first time coming here, too?"

He nods. "The leaves in Tokyo don't start changing colors until late November, so Dragondola is usually closed by the time I even start to think about seeing autumn leaves." He pauses, lowering his chin shyly. "And I wanted to come here with someone special."

"Well," I say with a smile, feeling a little shy myself. "Thanks for choosing to come with me."

Since moving to Tokyo, I've had a lot of 'firsts' with Shun. Up until now, it felt like everywhere he's taken me, and every experience he's given me has been him welcoming me into his world. I think this is the first time we're experiencing something that's new to both of us.

When the ride comes to an end and we're back on solid ground, I rub Shun's head.

"Thanks for the surprise!"

"It's not over yet," he says as he fixes his hair and continues back down a paved path to the bus stop.

"You mean there's another surprise?" I ask.

"Maybe." He grins.

We have a late lunch at a locally-run soba shop we find near the station. I try asking what we're going to do next, but Shun continues to ignore my questions. On our way out of the restaurant, he pulls up a navigation app on his phone. I follow him until he takes a turn toward the entrance of a ryokan. From the fancy wooden entrance, I can tell right away it's not a cheap inn. We check in and a soft-spoken woman in a kimono leads us down a hallway carefully decorated with dry flowers and paintings.