Past | 過去 section 1

"Traitor," Takeru growls as I place my lunch tray on our usual table.

I laugh at the sight of everyone's glares, hoping to lift the tension.

"You guys got tan," I observe.

There's a slight pause as they eye me.

"You did too?" Koki says inquisitively.

"Oh." I look at my arm, trying to remember what color it used to be. "I guess I did."

Their silent stares make me uneasy. Well, this is awkward.

"I guess it was from standing outside waiting for the train," I offer.

"Damn. How long did you wait?" Takeru grumbles.

"I tan easily," I laugh and shrug.

"Right." Koki nods. "So what really happened yesterday?"

I guess it was stupid of me to believe I could fool Koki.

"Well," I speak slowly, feeling myself starting to sweat. What should I say?

"You've been acting weird these days," Takeru says with concerned eyes. "Are you hiding something?"

I stammer, my mind desperately grasping for a good excuse, but I can't come up with anything.

"Actually, I..."

"You what?" Takeru presses.

"I kind of... got a girlfriend," I mumble. "I didn't want to tell you guys in case you got jealous or something."

"What?!" Takeru almost yells.

Koki sighs in relief while Reiya's face lights up.

"Since when? You thought we'd get jealous? Is she super hot or something?" Takeru questions as he leans closer to me from opposite the table.

"Uh, yeah, she's kind of hot. That's why." I cover up.

"You fucking traitor!" Takeru yells as he bangs a fist on the table.

"Ugh," Koki groans. "Calm the fuck down."

"Show us a picture!" Reiya requests in a lighter tone.

"Uh," I stammer. "I don't have any yet since we only recently started dating."

"Lame," Takeru scoffs. "I'm not gonna believe she's hot until I see a picture."

"That's great. I'm happy for you," Koki says with a sincere nod.

"Thanks." Sorry Koki.

"Man, this sucks," Takeru complains. "We've lost our visual bait. The ballerinas yesterday hardly even looked at us because you weren't there."

"I'm pretty sure they were ignoring us because you were acting like a perv," Koki says matter-of-factly.

I laugh, listening to their recollection of yesterday's failures. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest, having finally given them at least part of the truth. I just have to make sure they never find out I'm actually dating a guy.

After finishing my lunch shift on Saturday, I make a quick trip to Shinjuku to buy a cake and a present for Shun's birthday. I pick out a small chocolate one decorated with fruit. Having no idea what to give him as a present, I end up buying a hand towel with a beach print. The colors are nice and I know he likes the beach.

The moment I open his door, I'm surprised to find Shun grinning and offering me a canned cocktail. My hand takes it automatically.