Sincerity|誠 section 3

"Makotoooooo!" Shuji cries, obviously already intoxicated when he opens his door for me.

"Hey," I greet, already excited at the sound of my friends' laughter down the hallway.

"I hope you're ready to get wasted!" he pokes me in the ribs and shuts the door behind me.

"You look like you're well on your way there," I laugh as I wiggle my feet out of my shoes.

"Of course!" he exclaims. "It's the last day before the last day of the year!"

"That's true."

"Makoto! Get in here!" Shinjiro calls.

Down the narrow hallway, Shinjiro, Eisuke and Hiroto sit in a circle around a low table next to an unmade bed. Everyone is red-faced and the room is filled with the smell of takoyaki and booze.

"Here." Shinjiro scoots over to create a space next to him and pats the floor. "Come sit by me!"

Shuji, Eisuke, and Hiroto laugh when Shinjiro wraps his arm around my shoulders and hands me a paper cup.

"Mr. and Mrs. Masuno have reunited," Hiroto jokes.

Shinjiro pours gold-colored beer into my cup and turns back to the other guys with his own cup raised.

"Cheers to this reunion!" Shinjiro announces.

We clack our cups together and I gulp down the liquid.

"It's funny," Hiroto says, making eye contact with me. "We were literally just talking about you right before you rang the doorbell."

"Oh yeah?" I chuckle. "Were you saying nice things?"

"Well, Shinjiro was saying you have a surprise for us," Hiroto clarifies.

My mouth goes dry as I look toward Shinjiro. He gives me a smile and an assuring nod.

"So what is it?" Eisuke provokes.

"Oh, uh," I stammer, going blank.

The four pairs of eyes give me stage fright. I know I agreed to come out to my friends on this trip and tonight is my only chance to tell them all in person, but I can't seem to unseal my lips. Suddenly, all I can think about is the night at Ebisu Station and the look on Koki's face.

"So?" Hiroto presses.

"The surprise is," I pause and smile. "That I'm going to be in a dance competition on TV next month and all of you are invited to come be part of my audience!"

Their shoulders drop in disappointment.

"Man, we already knew that!" Eisuke complains.

I laugh and point a finger at them as they groan.

"I just wanted to show off one more time!" I brag.

"Ugh. Someone get a cage for this guy's ego," Hiroto scoffs.

I turn to Shuji. "Sorry, Shuji, I've been holding it for hours now. Can I use your bathroom?"

"Yeah." He points toward the narrow hallway. "You passed it on your way in."

"Thanks." I get up and head for the only door in the hallway.

I wasn't completely lying about having to go, but I know that's not the only reason I escaped. I'd almost forgotten about my promise to Shinjiro. I know I'm going back on my word, but I'm nowhere near mentally prepared to tell the guys. I can't risk losing any more friends. Shinjiro will be on my case again, but by this point, there's probably a higher chance that I'll break up with Shun than—