Jealousy | 嫉妬 section 2

The caffeine from the convenience store coffee I downed this morning finally kicks in when I see Shun's friends waving at us as we make our way through the bag check. Both girls are dressed in bright orange T-shirts with Summer Solar 20XX written across them.

We stand near the entrance discussing how to schedule our movement between stages so we can see our favorite artists. I skim through the timetable while Chiaki and Karen argue over which artist to see first. Shun smiles as he watches us, saying he's happy to see anyone as long as we can be at the Beach Stage in time for Picnic on Mars.

Eventually the girls eagerly make their way through a crowd toward a photo spot, explaining how we need to get a picture together before their hair gets messed up. Karen begins scanning the strangers around us for someone who looks nice enough to take our photo. Shun and Chiaki line up behind a frame designed to look like an Intogram post. I step toward Karen, holding out my hand.

"I'll take it for you guys," I offer.

"No way. You need to be in it, too," Chiaki rejects.

"Nah, I'm alright." I shake my head. I doubt either of the girls have connections to people I know, but I'd still prefer not to appear on anyone's social media with Shun.

"Why?" Chiaki raises an eyebrow. "We can get someone else to take it."

Before I can make an excuse, Shun cuts in.

"He doesn't really like taking photos."

I turn to look at him. He smiles and looks from Chiaki to me.

"It's okay, Makoto. You don't have to be in it," he assures me.

I pause, unsure of how to respond before nodding my head.

"If you say so." Chiaki shrugs.

Karen hands me her phone and takes up position next to Shun. While I'm trying to get the huge neon Summer Solar 20XX sign in the shot, I can't help but wonder why Shun made an excuse for me. When did I ever tell him I don't like having my picture taken?

We wander through a dimly lit covered area crowded with excited-looking attendees and food stands. Instruments and female vocals drift from a neighboring indoor stage. We head straight to the other end of the building until we're outside. I can't refrain from commenting on the humidity while I fan myself. Shun suggests getting something cold to drink while I follow him and the girls in a search of lockers for Karen's backpack. On the way, my interest is piqued by an area of food stalls. I tell them I'll be right back before heading for a kebab stand. I line up behind a couple and squint at the tiny letters on the menu.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see a group of guys coming my way. At first, I pay them no mind, focusing my attention on the menu, but their chatter is interrupted when one of them calls out.

"Whoa! Makoto!"

Just as surprised as the voice is, I quickly turn toward the group, finding none other than Reiya standing amongst them, eyes wide as he stares back at me.

"I didn't know you were coming to Summer Solar!" he laughs. "What a coincidence!"

"R-Reiya!" I stutter. "Uh, wow. What are you doing here?" I want to laugh with him over the ridiculous coincidence, but can't.

"I come here every year!" he says excitedly and points to the two guys standing to his right. "These are my friends from the soccer club! Guys, this is Makoto!"

I'm almost too shocked to say hello to them.

Don't panic. Shun is over by the lockers. Reiya hasn't seen him.