Chapter Twenty Eight.

Chris was at his desk reading the reports from the night when a soft knock drew his attention, glancing up he saw his sister standing in the doorway.

"Liz, I wasn't expecting you back for a few more days." He stood, rounding his desk for a hug.

He motioned her into his office and shut the door behind them.

"Yeah, I needed to come home. I needed space."

"What happened? Did Ty try something? Are the girls okay?"

"No, Ty was....wonderful and amazing and his family was so...perfect. I loved being there but...he's a dangerous man."

"He's a biker, Liz. You knew that."

"He killed Mitch," she blurted.

"What?"

"He followed me...he tried to take the girls and...Ty killed him."

Chris sat in silence a few long seconds the clock on the wall clicking softly. Outside his office a phone rang.

"Well... I...I don't know what to say."

"You're a cop, I was staying with a murderer."

"Yeah, and you're my sister. I love you, I hated that piece or shit and what he did to you and the girls. Honestly I would have killed him myself if I thought I could get away with it."

"So you think it's okay?"

"I think Mitch was a violent asshole and you're still scared...you don't have to be not anymore." He said with a small shrug.

"I'm scared of Ty," she admitted.

"That's fair, but...are you scared of Ty or scared that someone loved you enough to do what needed done?"

She sighed heavily but didn't reply, Chris gave her a minute before he spoke.

"Where are the girls?"

"Oh, I dropped them off with Zoey and Hannah, is that okay? Zoey said she didn't mind and now Mitch is gone I can finally turn my head once in awhile."

He was blushing he knew he was, he could feel the heat creep up his neck to his cheeks.
He should stop. He was a grown ass man and she was a grown woman not some teenaged boy with a crush.
Blushing at the mention of her name was ridiculous but he couldn't stop.

He cleared his throat and adjusted his tie.

"I'm sure Hannah would love that."

"Why are you so red? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just hot in here and...I think I'm coming down with something."

"The love bug maybe?" Liz teased.

"What? No, why? What did you hear?"

"Chris, geez. Calm down, I'm kidding I just assumed things with Claire were progressing."

"Oh, uhm." He adjust his tie again.

"Chris...where is Claire?" Liz asked.

"She left, she moved a few towns over." He admitted softly.

"Oh, I am sorry."

"Yeah. She was a good officer the force hates to lose her."

"The force? What about you?" Liz pushed.

"I'm...kind of seeing someone else."

"Really? Wow, you're really going for this dating again thing aren't you? Anyone I know?"