Chapter 42

Winnie

He was kissing me. We were kissing. Lips against lips, and my lolling head in his hands and his body feverishly pressed against mine. Sparkes filled my every pore, and made my head dizzy as he took his time caressing me.

It was funny, the pain was no longer there. I wasn't sure if it was Niall's soft lips pressed against mine, but the bite on my leg had become numb. I don't even think I was bleeding anymore.

My entire body had become numb.

We pulled away gently, my forehead, slightly damp from sweat and fever, still resting on his. I don't think he minded. I could tell he was in deep thought. He always had this dazed look on his face when he was thinking about something complex, something that words just couldn't describe. I should know, I've had a few of those thoughts here and there.

I don't know what came over me, but I wanted nothing more than to be the thing he was thinking of, right here, right now. To be the subject of his thoughts, and not just because I was currently dying in his arms, but because I meant as much to him as he does to me.

Kinda sucks that we couldn't have admitted our feelings sooner.

Hell, it sucks that I didn't own up to my own feelings and say something. We've been together for almost a year now. We could have been happy, even if it was for a short time.

Feeling his breath fan over my cheeks, his lips ghosting over my mouth as if at any moment we would kiss again, I realized something. All this 'feeling is for the weak' bullshit? It's not worth it.

He was there when I didn't want him, he risked his life to see if I was okay. He stuck by me, learned from me, and was something I haven't had in a while.

He was not just a distraction, he was my hope.

"You know," I said weakly, chuckling to hide to the lump in my throat. If my heart wasn't slowing down, it would probably be racing by now. How couldn't it? He was here, with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"You were always my favorite."

My body was so light, as if my confession was a physical weight of my shoulders. We both knew what my words really meant, and I could tell from seeing the way he looked at me that he felt the same. I could feel my arms and body go limp, but as hard as I tried I couldn't gather the strength to move. My breathing was so light, it didn't feel as if I was drowning or struggling for air, it just felt as if the air was simply passing through me.

Before the air had been so cold, but now I felt nothing. My eyes were closed, and although I tried to stop, they remained shut.

Why can't I open my eyes?

I heard a quiet clattering on the floor, something slipping from my hands. My gun had been released from my fingertips. Why the hell couldn't I move?

"Winnie?" I heard Niall mutter a sad, terrified whisper. He didn't sound like he was breathing. In fact, it didn't sound like anyone was breathing. I felt darkness enclose around me, a different darkness. My gut felt like it was on fire, as if I hadn't eaten in weeks and my tongue felt too large in my mouth.

What the hell was happening?

Before I could collect my thoughts I heard a faint clattering coming from across the room. I tilted my head slightly, still with my eyes shut but it was different, I felt like I could see. My instincts were on high alert, I could smell the blood running though Niall's veins, and I could hear his soft whimpers and tears roll down his cheeks as clear as day.