Chapter 33

Viv

Words couldn't describe the hatred and betrayl I held in my heart. I felt worthless, useless, and a fucking idiot. 

Why was it that I couldn't manage to protect my group? All the people that have died since the outbreak, when you were so close to ground zero, you hold a sense of responsibility. For the first time in a long time I felt the weight again. The weight of guilt. The spine crushing mass of the billions of souls destroyed in this hell.  My father was part of this, this entire shit show that has occured. I can't even remember how it was before, the idea of a world where I wasn't fighting for my life seems too unreal.

Six months ago the world ended.

Six months ago my father died and ever since then I was just a rat, a cockroach with no head trying to survive the apocalypse. 

Four months ago I broke my rule and brought peopld into my life. I met Harry, Louis, Zayn, Niall and Liam. 

Why did it seem like an eternity?

Has life just slipped away and were we just living in the echoes of a dying world? Has time already run out and were we just playing make believe? Was I any better than Declan and Trisha?

Was I a monster like my father?

I looked over to Liam, his eyes meeting mine and for a moment the world wasn't as cloudy as it was.

How did I end up here? In front of where it all began?

I shivered in my daze, I felt like a Grayie, wandering to past places that were broken and devoid of the meaning it held before.

"Viv? Are you alright?" I jumped at Liam's voice near my ear. He showed me concern, his eyes held something that might've made me tingle with buttlerflies, but I felt numb to my core. I simply nod without emotion, looking up the brick building and trying to bury the memories I had.

Do monsters remember the times they were human?

"No," Liam answers. Did I say that out loud?

"Monsters are shells, empty of a conscious and morality. Monsters are the things that occur when the human leaves it's shell behind." He continued, holding his gaze with me. I felt his fingers brush my own, but didn't dare tear my gaze away from his.

"Are we monsters?" My voice was weak, and suddenly the blood I felt on my hands, clothes and face felt heavy. I felt the souls dragging me down. 

Too bad this was already hell.

"Not yet." His voice wavers, but he seems confident in his answer. "Not while we're still holding onto the human inside."

Everyone had left to scavange one more time before we entered the facility. We all knew from experience to be prepared. We couldn't afford any mistakes.

I couldn't afford another life taken.

Liam noticed everyone's absence as well, taking a glance as Winnie and Niall entered a pale yellow colonial house down the road.

"They're safe." Liam murmurs, looking down at me, both our hands now entertwined.

Funny, how did that happen?

"You can't guarentee that." I shook my head, looking as my group split in different directions.

"I wasn't talking about them." Liam nodded at the sky, flicking his eyes up towards the sky.

"They left behind monsters, but they're safe. Every last one of them."

And suddenly my eyes were closed, arms wrapped around me as we held onto each other.

It was the same moment we had those months ago, the panic of right now fading away as we listened to each other's heart beats. His tall frame enveloped mine, but it was equal in comfort. I was holding on to him just as tight as he held on to me.

I haven't felt this intimacy in a long time.

But for the first time since all of this started I felt that weight lift, and settle onto Liam's shoulders as he helped me carry it. I felt like I could win this time.

That I could save everyone, just this once, everyone would live.

Then our lips touched, and I felt like I could fly.

........................................................................................................

SHORT BUT I OWED YOU GUYS AN UPDATE AND WHY THE HELL NOT

I seriously could talk on this thing for hours so I'll try to keep this short.

1) THIS IS COMING TO AN END SOON, BUT I WILL BE POSTING A PREQUEL AFTER CALLED CUPIDS BULLET THAT HAS MORE TO DO WITH THE STORY OF LOUIS AND SCAR.

2)YOU GUYS GAVE ME 50K AND IM HONESTLY LYING ON THE FLOOR SOBBING CUZ WHAT THE HECK YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING

3) CONTEST ENDS AT THE END OF OCT SO GET THAT TO ME, I WANNA UPDATE YA NUGS

4) i felt super serious in this chapter and weird while I wrote it and i would love to know your feedback to this kind of writing cuz ive never written like that and wowie wow wow

SO YOU GUYS KNOW:

COMMENT

VOTE

AND FOLLOW FOR WHEN I UPDATE

I LOVE YOU ALL AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THE SHORT UPDATE

~KiaraXx