Chapter 39

Josh

*

I softly explained my plan to the others as Winnie layed near the corner with Niall's arms around her. I had realized just moments after Winnie entered that the blue prints of the building and the monitors didn't align. There was an entire floor below the basement that wasn't supposed to exist on the blue prints, yet there it was, unmarked and without any survillence. 

"Carrie, you come with me, and we can grab Viv on the way out." I murmured, looking over to my friend dying on the floor, but she seemed engrossed in Niall, neither of them paying attention to us. 

I suppose, we can just leave them alone on this one. I think - Sawyer- and the others are going to intercept the herd of Grayies from the school, and make sure that they don't interfere or overrun the building before we can get Lauren out. 

"If Carrie goes, then I go too." Zayn spoke up, looking between the both of us. Carrie flashed him a small smile, her blue eyes widening in surprise.

I was shocked too, here I was thinking that none of these boys cared about our group, but right in front of me was Niall carassing Winnie, and Zayn determined to stick by Carrie. Liam had risked his life in the beginning for Maisy, and there was no doubt Louis would die for Sawyer. Harry seemed concerned for everyone, especially Lauren but not in that way anymore, he was truly sorry for what he had done, and he was determined to make it right again. 

I think, I admired his loyalty, and how he took responsibility. 

"Alright then." I nodded firmly, and the group looked surprised at my agreement, I guess they assumed it would've been harder to convince me to let Zayn come. Either way, it was time to move.

"Shit." Louis muttered under his breath, taking another look at the security monitors. Just near the corner of the facility's parkinglot were a few straggling Grayies. In the distance however, you could see an upcoming shit storm of the undead. They looked like a massive gray blob, and it was absolutely terrifying. 

"I thought you took care of the ones from the Middle School!" Carrie groaned, turning her spear over anxiously in her hands. The look in her eyes grew wild as she stared at the herd, her anticaption could be felt from across the room. Sawyer reached over gently and placed her hand over Carries, attempting to calm her down a bit. 

"How about the rest of us go take care of that." Sawyer piped, furrowing her eyebrows as she glanced at the remaining group. 

"I guess I should go too, you guys look like you need as many people as you can get." Liam spoke solemnly, looking unsure for some unknown reason. He whispered something to Zayn in a hushed voice, low enough so that the rest of us couldn't hear. Zayn giving him a reassured look in response.

"Then let's head out."

Rounding about the corner was Viv sitting with her back against the wall. She looked up quickly, eyes wide and bloodshot, her face unusually pale as she rose up in fear.

"Not yet, Niall is with her." Carrie answered before I could, and Viv let out a hestiant breath. She looked shaky, but quickly recomposed herself, trying to tap some blood back in her cheeks and wipe her eyes from any stray tears. 

"What's the plan then?"

"Get down the the last sublevel. There are no cameras there and it would be the best place to hold Lauren. We couldn't find her on any other monitors." I spoke hastily. Something near the end of the hallway caught my eye, a small phone hanging off it's cord with spattered blood on the mouth piece.

Lauren right now was probably either fighting for her life, or immobilized so she couldn't. Something about that thought made it harder for me to breathe, like I wasn't getting enough oxygen in my lungs.