Chapter 17

"Shit." I cursed in a low voice.

Clara creased her forehead and followed where my eyes were focused on.

"Uh-oh! So much for I don't think we're going to see each other ever again." Clara murmured while mimicking my manner of speaking.

I eyed her and raised my brow. She just chuckled and shook her head.

"Kayla! Clara! Do you mind if Xavi joins you guys here?" Maddie asked.

I pressed my lips. He quickly glanced at me.

"Maddie, I'll be fine. I'll find a table." Xavi put his hand on Maddie's shoulder and smiled at her.

Still got that same warm smile.

"It's alright." I said when he was about to leave to look for a table.

Clara turned her head to me and her mouth fell open a bit. Xavi paused and turned his head. Our eyes met but he quickly broke the eye contact and looked away.

Why were they looking at me? I'm not heartless or what. Kawawa naman siya if ever eh.

"Yay! Thanks, Kams!" Maddie smiled at me.

"Order anything you want, alright? It's on me." Leon smiled and tapped Xavi's back.

"Congratulations again to you both!" Xavi smiled at Leon and Maddie who left us after to socialize with their other friends.

I was so sure that Maddie took this opportunity to have me and Xavi get to know each other more. If only she knew.

"Hi!" he greeted while looking at me. I nodded and gave a small smile. "Hi Clara!" He looked at Clara who was sitting beside me and smiled at her.

"Hey Xavi! How are you? It's nice seeing you again." Clara replied and smiled back at him.

He took a seat at the empty couch across us and called the waiter. He ordered a can of coke light and steak salpicao.

"Coke light lang?" Clara asked.

"Yeah. I really don't drink much. And I'm driving," he explained and a small smiled appeared on his lips. "Anyway, I'm doing great. Ikaw, how have you been? It's been so long."

"Oo nga eh," Clara replied and chuckled. "Okay naman. I'm actually based in Sydney now. I just fly back to Manila from time to time especially for special occasions like this one."

"Wow. Really?" Xavi asked with a grin on his face.

Clara nodded. "Yup. I felt like I needed a different environment. You know, just to challenge myself and try to work out of the country and see where it takes me. Are you here on vacation ba?"

What a question, Clara. Xavi probably thinks it was weird na tinatanong pa ni Clara 'yun.

"Not really," he shook his head. "I moved back here last year. For good."

"Ahhh," Clara responded while nodding her head. "How come? Akala ko you'll build your career in Sydney and be a top investment banker there," Clara quipped.

"I worked there for a few years...and I did become a top investment banker there," he paused then chuckled. "But I want to build my own company. And I felt like the best place to do that would still be here in our country."

"Sabagay. At least you're opening up opportunities here. But how about your family? I mean, they're based there in Sydney right so you're all alone here?"

Gaano katagal pa kaya itong convo nila?

I called the server to order nalang since both of them were so engrossed in their conversation. With Clara's nonstop questions, baka mamaya pa 'yan matapos and it was still quite early. 10:30 PM pa lang. With how everyone was celebrating, I was pretty sure this party would last 'til late.