💣Dirty💣

In the quiet hospital room, the tension is palpable. "Ms. Cha Yunhui?" I ask.

She's laying at the bed, looking through the window, but her eyes seem lost. It's as if she was just looking at life, with no will to form part of it... I've seen this before. She turns to look at me but doesn't says anything. "I'm Dr. Lee, I'll be in charge of you for the time being. I'll just check your vitals for the now and then I'll run some tests."

After a moment of charged silence, I resume checking her vitals, trying to provide some semblance of comfort through my presence. It's clear she feels trapped by her circumstances, worn down by the weight of her trauma and the public scrutiny that comes with legal battles.

As I'm checking her vitals, Ms. Koo enters the room. "Ms. Cha Yunhui?" she introduces herself. "I'm Koo Ryeon, the prosecutor handling your case," she continues, offering Yunhui her business card. Yunhui, frustrated, crumples the card in her hand and looks away again.

Her phone suddenly rings, breaking the tense silence. She answers it with a sharp tone. "Mom? I told you to stop... I don't care if we win or lose, just stop... Why can't you think about what I'm going through?... It's all my fault, so just leave it... I don't want to see anyone, and I'm not going through another trial," she speaks into the phone, her voice rising with each word before she abruptly hangs up.

I pause my examination, giving her space to breathe, feeling the weight of her distress fill the room.

"You heard me, didn't you?" Yunhui snaps sharply. "Just go," she demands, directing her frustration towards Ms. Koo.

"No," Ms. Koo responds with unwavering firmness. "I want to hear more from you directly," she insists.

"If you're so curious, just look it up online. It's all there," Yunhui retorts, her voice thick with anger.

"I've read everything available online," Ms. Koo acknowledges calmly. "But will changing the prosecutor change the law? I'm not interested in appealing," Yunhui counters dismissively.

"I'm deeply interested in your case, Ms. Cha. I believe in understanding the full story firsthand before making any judgments. I'll be here, ready to listen whenever you're willing to talk," Ms. Koo states, settling in her chair with a patient resolve.

Frustrated by the conversation, Yunhui abruptly pulls the curtain shut between her bed and the rest of the room, isolating us from Ms. Koo.

"I'm sorry," Yunhui murmurs quietly after a moment of silence.

"There's no need to apologize. Everyone has those moments when they just don't feel like seeing anyone," I reassure her, trying to ease the tension.

She simply nods, laying back down and closing her eyes as I proceed with the check-up. After a few minutes, I complete the assessment and am about to leave when Yunhui suddenly bolts upright, her eyes wide with terror. She starts screaming hysterically, "I'm sorry! Please don't kill me!" over and over again.

Ms. Koo swiftly pulls back the curtain and steps in, her expression filled with concern. "I'll hold her down, bring me some ice," I instruct Ms. Koo urgently.

She looks at me, momentarily stunned by the intensity of the situation. "Quickly!" I urge, my voice rising as I rush to Yunhui's side to help stabilize her amidst her violent panic attack.

Without another word, Ms. Koo turns and hurries out of the room to fetch the ice, leaving me to manage Yunhui's escalating distress.

"Cha Yunhui," I address her gently, holding her hands to prevent any self-harm. Her eyes dart around, filled with fear and confusion, but she gradually begins to focus on me. Ms. Koo rushes back with a bucket of ice, which I immediately use to immerse our hands. The shock of the cold helps ground her, slowing her breath and quieting her cries.