IANOWT (Netflix) - Day 3 : Speech Problems - Stan & Syd

Prompt : Character A has speech problems due to their cleft lip and/or palate (this can be anything from having trouble with very specific sounds to a full-on lisp) and feels embarrassed, insecure, or frustrated because of it. Character B is understanding and kind

On the surface, Stanley looked and sounded pretty normal. No one could tell something was different (at least, physically) just by looking at him. But, as he and Syd became closer friends, she began to notice this thing he did.

He mostly was pretty understandable when he spoke, but when he said a word that had a 'th' sound in it, it often came out more like a 'guh' or a 'kuh'. It wasn't horrible distracting, and she could still tell what he was trying to say, but it was always this question at the back of her mind. Still, she didn't say anything for fear of coming across as rude. Normally she wouldn't care about coming across that way, but this was her friend and she also knew he could be a bit on the sensitive side because of his ADHD.

Well, one day, she was just high enough for that worry to go away.

"Stan, can I ask you something?" she asked him. The two were sprawled out on the floor, stoned. Stan chuckled and gave a small noise of agreement. "You have this thing you do sometimes when you talk" she started, clunkily going through her mind to find a decent way to word this. "Where your 'th' sound is kinda... I don't know"

"Oh" Stan replied. He was silent for a moment, and Syd was beginning to worry she'd said something wrong when he spoke up again. "Yeah, I was born with this like... Hole in the roof of my mouth, I guess is the best way to describe it" he explained. Syd raised an eyebrow as she looked in his general direction. "I had it... Fixed, or whatever, but I still have some small speech issues"

"It's not like, a big deal at all" Syd told him. Silence fell between the two for a moment, before Stan eventually spoke up again.

"Would you..." he started, trailing off into a chuckle. "Okay, would you rather be... An eagle or... A jellyfish?"