The Umbrella Academy (TV) - Day 5 : Canon Cleft Character - Jayme & Alphonso

Prompt : Write a fic about a character who canonically has a cleft lip and/or palate. "But I don't know any characters who have it!" you may be thinking. Characters with clefts are actually far more common than you may realize. A few examples are Alphonso from The Umbrella Academy, Penguin from The Batman (2022), and Hawk from Cobra Kai. There are also a few well-known actors (such as Tom Burke and Joaquin Phoenix) who have it, and any live action character they play also does by extension. If you're still looking for examples, I'd recommend searching about it. This Wikipedia page may be a good starting place : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleft_lip_and_cleft_palate#Works_of_fiction

Alphonso had always had the scarred lip, even before the rest of his scars and disfigurements. It was something that had made Reginald glad for the nature of his power leaving him so battered, because then the family could keep the nature of that specific scar under wraps, writing it off as just another scar he got in a fight.

He hadn't liked that when he was little, the fact that his father seemed so ashamed of his deformity, but he eventually learned to stop caring about that. If anything, he thought of his cleft as a sort of hidden bonus in fights, because whenever someone punched him in the mouth, he could redirect the pain to that person, and they'd quickly learn how much more painful it was to get punched in the mouth when your upper lip was scarred and sensitive.

Jayme was always the nicest about it- The others weren't necessarily terrible to him over it (considering Fei's eyes and Christopher's existence, he didn't exactly stick out that much for it), but they still loved to make jokes at his expense, especially Ben. But Jayme never commented on it, and he thinks that's partially why he was always the closest with her.

She would also stick up for him when Ben's comments got too out of line, and the two found solace in one another when they never really could with the other Sparrows. Sometimes it felt like the only siblings they actually had were each other.

They were both quietly happy the moment they realized that, even though they were dying, it was together.