Chapter-7 "Sorting Ceremony"

"Firs' 'Ears!!" Firs' 'Ears 'Ere!" A voice suddenly said
They all looked out the window to see a man twice as tall
and nearly 5 times as wide. He looked simply too big to be allowed, and so wild – long tangles of bushy black hair and beard hid most of his face, He had hands the size of trash can lids, and his feet in their leather boots were like baby dolphins.

They went outside and followed the man onto some little boats.

Lily and Severus on one boat and James, Peter, Sirius, and Remus on another. They didn't even look at each other during the ride, which btw was terrifying for poor Peter as the boat was wobbling so much that he almost fell. And soon they had reached Hogwarts

For James, it was like love at first sight. He finally felt like he was home. he was awestruck at the sight. Hogwarts was shimmering in the moonlight and its reflection of it was visible in the great lake that only enhanced its beauty. The tall beautiful architecture was perched on a little hill making a clear view.

As soon as they entered the building, they were greeted by a tall, severe looking lady who had rectangular spectacles.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." The lady said. James's eyes widened. He knew this lady.

She was his mother Dora's best friend. She often used to come to James's house and he thought she was really nice. Yeah, she was a sharp young lady and seemed like not exactly a person to come across, but she was also really protective and loyal and also exhibited some dry humor (Though rarely)

And now here she was, standing right in front of  him. He didn't understand why she had literally never mentioned anything about being a teacher at Hogwarts. 

Oh! Hey there Mr. Po-" 

And before she could finish, James dragged her aside into a corner.

"What's wrong, James?" McGonagall asked.

James said suddenly asked "Minnie, can you PLEASE tell me who announces the names at the sorting ceremony?" 

"Oh, I do, why?" Minerva or rather MINNIE asked. "Well......... I want you to not mention my last name" "Why?" Minnie asked. "Well ummm I just want people to umm like me for me, I guess." "Awww you are just a genuine boy, Jamesie!" Minerva said squeezing James's cheecks.

"Aah stop it!" James said pushing her arms away.

McGonagall said "Of course, James, I'll make sure to not say potter" Smiling

"Oh, thankyou! Thankyou! thankyou so much!" James said  

Then suddenly McGonagall said "Oh, James! You have got to get to the hall quick! The sorting ceremony's going to start! someone's going to make the speech soon!" She said pushing him into the hall

"Umm, aren't you the one who's supposed to make the speech?" James asked

"Oh my goodness! Yes I am!"

They reached in and McGonagall soon turned to her original strict seslf and started her speech

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. 

"Where were you, idiot?" Sirius asked as soon as he caught sight of James. "Oh, umm it was that- ummm-"  '"Shush, guys, she's still giving her speech!" Remus said

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are atHogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose housepoints. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a greathonor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. 

"I hope we'll all be in the same house!" Peter said excitedly "Yeah, and I sure hope we're not in Slytherin tho" Sirius said

"Of course! I'd NEVER betray Gryffindor like that! I'll literally cut that DAMN hat in half if it puts me in any other house!!"

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. Isuggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." 

"Smarten yourselves up"? What's that even supposed to mean?" Sirius asked. 

"Move along now," said a sharp voice. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." Professor McGonagall had returned. Only then did they notice she had brought a stool in that had what looked like a hundred year old hat. It had several patches that were clearly showing up on it's original gooey brown fabric. 

And just as she said that, the hat's "Mouth?" started to move and then began the sorting hat's song

"Hello students welcome back here"

"And for the new ones, BEWARE your fate might be near"

"And of course, I'm just bluffing"

"But really, the Hufflepuff be huffin"

"Which brings me to sort you all which is why I'm here"

"First to the Gryffindors, nothing they fear,

"Chivalrous and brave"

"But these kids should siriusly learn to behave"

"Then to the badgerfoots, Hufflepuff I mean"

"To the loyal side, they often tend to lean"

"Then to the Ravenclaws, and not to ruffle your feathers"

"But to you guys studying always seems in weather"

"Then we come to the Slytherins, cunning folk they are"

"If you come in the way of what they want, you may end up with a scar"

"So go on put me on your head and where you belong, I shall tell"

"Hogwarts welcomes you, you'll have a lot of fun and maybe learn some spells"

"So now with me, you'll have a chat"

"And you'll be shocked cuz I'm the smartest hat"

And as the hall burst in to applause, McGonagall got up and started calling out names

"Johnson Georgina!"

A nervous looking guy with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes stepped forward while muttering something to himself.  As soon as the hat was put onto his head, it yelled out 

"HUFFLEPUFF!!" 

Cheers could be heard from the Hufflepuff table as the head boy welcomed him

"Abott Anna!!" 

The hat took a bit more time to sort Anna then after like 2 minutes, it bellowed

"HUFFLEPUFF!!"

"Keddle Zacharias"

"GRYFINDOOR"

"Switch Septima"

"Oooh does she turn on and off too?" Said Sirius. "Can she be my lightbulbs best friend?" Said Peter

"SLYTHERIN"

As they all laughed Mcgonagall suddenly called 

"Black,  Sirius"