the time of the angels

every time he meets river, the doctor found himself plagued by thoughts of her

he's only met river song a couple of times.

he knows nothing about her at this point in his personal history. but he knows it feels wrong.

"doctor can you sonic me?" she called over to him. he felt the glare amy had on the back of his head as she kept speaking and he quickly soniced her device.

"oh doctor. you soniced her." amy teased. he knew that amy meant it in a kind way, a teasing way.

it hadn't been long since he left her, his rose, on the beach the first time, let alone the second time.

and then came the final stages of regeneration when he got to see her once more.

she had had no idea who he was, even as she spoke to him.

"what year is it?" he knew he shouldn't be asking her, but he couldn't help himself. he needed to know where she was in her life.

"blimey how much have you had?" her voice was shaky as she chuckled at his question.

"well." he just shook his head slightly.

"2005, january the first."

"2005?" she gave him a smile, though a slightly uncomfortable one. the doctor couldn't help but smile at her, his rose.

seeing her one last time was all he could ever ask.

"tell you what, i bet you're gonna have a really great year." there was so much more he wanted to say, but he couldn't.

"yeah?" he nodded as her smile grew. "see ya."

as she twirled around and rushed up the stairs of the powell estate, the doctor found himself wanting to stop her.

but he knew he couldn't.

it had broken his heart.

sure, time would pass and the doctor would move on.

he would meet amelia pond, and river song, and plenty of people after them he was sure.

and he knew that river would someday be an important figure in his life.

more than just a friend, but it never felt right when river song flirted with him.

because river song was not rose tyler.

and no matter how much he wished she was, she never would be.