night terrors

the doctor had always had a soft spot for children

he had once had children of his own.

that's why he could never turn away a child's request for help.

never in his life would the doctor turn away at a child asking him for help.

but this felt different. he had been interacting with and helping children more often lately.

and no matter how deeply in his soul he KNEW that he had ALWAYS been this way, part of him couldn't help but wonder if it's because children reminded him of her.

the last time he had seen her there had been talk of children. both times.

"you've still got mister mickey then." that was the doctor, always trying to shed light on rough situations.

"there's five of us now. mum, dad, mickey, and the baby."

"you're not-" he couldn't even finish his sentence. the thought of her having met someone else broke him.

"no." she laughed. "it's mum, she's three months gone more tyler's on the way."

selfishly, he breathed a sigh of relief as she told him it was her mothers.

it was always her. he'd spoken about kids with her before of course, he'd spoken about everything with her.

"i was pregnant, do you remember?" jackie asked the metacrisis. "had a baby boy!"

"oh brilliant, what'd you call him?" the metacrisis asked.

"doctor." the doctor blushed.

"did you really?"

"no you plum." jackie said. "he's called tony."

even rose has chuckled at that, although, of course, as she was in the process of realizing where they were, she was terrified.

it was hard to think about. the doctor knew that he'd always had a soft spot for children, long before rose came into the picture.

but that soft spot just got softer after her.
-
"snow white and the seven keys to doomsday." the doctor froze up. he didn't mean too, he didn't even realize why he'd frozen at first.

it took him a moment, and he had to repeat the sentence in his head.

'snow white and the seven keys to doomsday.' he felt re-paralyzed once he got to the last word.

doomsday.

that's what he had decided to call it.

long ago, when he'd left rose on that beach the first time, and appeared to her as a hologram to say goodbye, that's what he'd decided to call it.

it was only fitting, after all, he had felt doomed to a life of sadness and loneliness after that day.

the day he lost his rose. that was his doomsday, the day where he realized that he was doomed.

because without rose tyler, the was truly doomed.
-
the doctor saw amy's face and he felt his hearts going crazy.

she had been turned into a doll. one of THEM.

she had been changed, changed into the thing the doctor was supposed to protect her from.

he needed to figure out a way to save her.

but before he could start thinking of ways to help her, he found himself flashing back.

"they did what?" the doctor's voice was poison.

"sorry?" the detective asked.

"they left her where?" the doctor hadn't heard a single bit of what he was being told.

he was staring at the face, or lack thereof, of rose tyler. she stood in front of him with no face.

they had taken it from her.

they had taken it from her and he was supposed to protect her.

and now he was ready for blood.

he was supposed to be saving amy. amy was in front of him right now, she was the important one.

but she wasn't rose.

and as unfortunate as it was, the doctor knew he'd never be able to stop thinking of rose.