the pandorica opens

"terileptil

"terileptil. slitheen. chelonian. nestene." river continued spouting off the list of aliens that were surrounding earth.

but by that point, his brain stopped, and he could only pick up one more name. "sycorax."

his hearts sunk.

river was listing off the names of aliens who were there for the pandorica. they all wanted it for themselves.

but he couldn't think of anything in front of him. not of river, not of the pandorica, not even of amy pond.

because when he heard those names, the slitheen, the nestene, the sycorax, all races he'd faced before, he froze.

and now he was facing them all again, for a second time, or for the third, or even possibly a fourth time.

only this time, he was missing something. he was missing one very important thing that helped him win all those battles against these creatures.

or rather, someone.

rose tyler.

he was missing his rose.

the doctor was always missing his rose now that she was gone.

and he knew that he'd spend the rest of his lives missing rose tyler.
-
"are you proposing to someone?" amy's voice startled him out of his thoughts as he worked.

"i'm sorry?" he called.

"i found this in your pocket." amy walked slowly over to the doctor, holding the ring that she had found.

"no. no no that's a memory. friend of mine someone i lost do you, mind-" he tried to take it from her, but she pulled it back.

"people fall out of the world sometimes but they always leave traces." the sadness in his voice was evident, even to amy.

although he was trying to get amy to remember rory, subtly, there was one person at the forefront of his mind.

rose.

because although he'd never admit to anyone, not even himself, oh how the doctor wished that ring had been for her.

"little things we can't quite account for, faces in photographs luggage half eaten emals. rings." he sighed slightly. "nothing is ever forgotten not completely. and if something can be remembered it can. come back."

it almost felt like he was trying to convince himself of something. and deep down he knew he was.

he knew that even though the point of his little speech was to try to get amy to remember rory, he was also trying to convince himself that rose would, or even could, come back.

but he knew she never would.

"so was she nice?" amy snapped the box shut. "your friend."

and as he sighed and walked away, he was not only acknowledging amy's inability to remember rory.

he was also acknowledging that no matter how much he wanted her too, rose tyler could never come back to him.
-
"plastic roman's." he tried to break free of the creatures holding him. "duplicates, driven by the nestene consciousness, aye?"

even as he was being dragged away, there was nothing he could do to stop thinking about her.

the nestene consciousness, living plastic.

the first adventure he ever had with rose.

and now, it was much bigger than the nestene consciousness, much bigger than it was all those years ago in london.

only he was facing it alone.

sure, he had amy and rory and river, but it wasn't the same.

because they weren't rose.

and rose would never be with him again.