Vision Twenty-Two

May 3

"Don't lie to me, is she here or not?" Beyonce asked looking around the room. The interns all tried to avoid eye contact. "There's my answer. So, who wants to become a full time employee here?" She asked with a smirk. None of the interns budged. "Fine."

"Beyonce, line 1." Her secretary said. Beyonce looked around at the interns before walking out of their office and into her own. She picked up the phone and pushed line 1.

"Hello?"

"Girl! Tell me you have been watching the news!" Michelle yelled out.

"No, what's on?" Beyonce asked turning her TV on. She turned to the news channel and watched the scene taking place. "He can't be." She whispered.

"They don't know anything so far, they just know gun shots went off and nobody is being let out or into the building." Michelle said. Beyonce just shook her head and sat down in her chair. "Kelly and I are coming tonight, okay?"

"Yeah."

"Make sure you don't worry too much, you know he's going to be fine. Go and get your daughter and just spend the day with her, okay?"

"Okay." Beyonce hung up the phone and placed her hand over her mouth. This was too much for her to handle. She had the baby inside of her and now this to worry about.

"Beyonce." She looked towards the door and everyone was huddled around it. One of the interns came in carrying Alexis. He placed her down onto Beyonce's lap and left out of the office.

"Mommy, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Alexis asked wiping her mother's tears. Beyonce hugged her tight and kissed the side of her face. "I'm scared mommy." She said as she began to cry as well.

"It's daddy sweetie." That's all she could get out. That's all she wanted to get out. Alexis didn't need to know exactly what was happening. But at the same time, Beyonce didn't have that information herself.

"Investigators say the gunshots rang out at exactly four in the morning and no one is sure how many hostages have been injured."

As the news continued to spread, the phones began to ring off the hook. Beyonce's office phone wouldn't stop ringing until she finally disconnected it from the wall with force. She had enough of this. She wanted to be normal right now, she didn't want fame. She was a wife whose husband was being held hostage by a man with a gun. Why couldn't people just leave her alone?

"Shawn Carter, also known as Jay-Z, was set to hold a press conference outside of the building later today, but now they are saying he is inside and there is no word on if he is in fact one of the wounded."

Beyonce's heart sunk as she thought about the dangers her husband was facing. He had to pull through, he was still in her dreams, so he must be alright. But what if the dreams suddenly stop? What if her dreams become just that, dreams.

---

"Come on Lexi, let's get you in the bathtub." Roy said taking her hand and leading her up the stairs. Alexis kept her gaze on her mother as Beyonce sat on the couch with the house phone in her hand and Kelly and Michelle by her side. They were bound to hear something soon; it had already been seven hours. The hostages were still inside, and news reporters were slowly gaining more information on the people inside.

"He's going to be okay." Kelly said rubbing Beyonce's back.

"How could this not have been a dream? How could God not have let me seen this? Huh?" She asked getting loud.

"Sometimes you just gotta deal with things as they come. Think of it as a test, God is testing your strength right now. Show him that you can pass the test he set out for us all." Michelle said trying to calm her down. "You have Alexis upstairs not knowing what to do, show her that everything is going to be alright."

"I don't know if everything is gonna be alright, how can I tell my daughter it will be? I can't lie to her." Beyonce responded while getting up. She walked into the backyard and looked up at the sky. Maybe this was her fault, maybe she should have gone with him like he asked, they would be together right now.

Instead, she was in one state and he was in another, both thinking the same thing. They should be together. Beyonce closed her eyes and thought of the good times, the times when there was no drama in their lives.

"Beyonce, give me back the remote!" Shawn said tickling her. She squirmed around and quickly put the remote down her shirt with a smile. "That's not fair, I can't go down there after it." He said letting her go.

"Why not?"

"I don't know you like that yet, we just started dating." He said taking a seat next to her. "I'm not gonna disrespect you like that." She smiled and sat in his lap, facing him. She gave him a quick kiss and pulled the remote out of her blouse.

"You're the greatest man alive Shawn Carter, don't let anybody tell you you're not." He smiled and gently moved her head to the side so he could change the channel. Beyonce's jaw dropped and she smacked him across the chest. "Asshole." She mumbled.

"What a baby." He said laughing. She ignored him and tried to get off his lap, but he wasn't having it. "Let me take you somewhere special, I want to show you something." He whispered in her ear. Everyone knew she couldn't resist anything he said once he whispered it, she loved that.

He slowly guided her to his backyard, a place he went often. The Shawn Carter the world knew was different from the Shawn Carter that he wanted people to know, and this was the only place he could express his true feelings. As the stars glistened above them, he wrapped his arms around Beyonce from behind and rested his head on her shoulder. "It's beautiful." She said.

"Yeah. It's also like therapy, anytime I'm feeling stressed or scared, I come out here and I look up at the sky. It calms me down and let's me see the brighter side of things."

Beyonce opened her eyes and wiped the tears from them. "Bring him home soon." She whispered. She couldn't help but to wonder what would happen if Shawn didn't come home. How could she raise two kids on her own? There's no feeling in the world worst than knowing you can't be with the one you love. Even though her dreams told her Shawn would be around, she had a hard time believing that.

Sometimes dreams don't come true. Sometimes they disappoint. Sometimes they don't mean anything.