Chapter 2

I opened the door to my car and walked out heading for the front door. I knocked and right after my knuckle touched the door it swung open and revealed Jeremy.

He smiles and engulfs me in a huge bear hug, “Kitty, I’ve missed you.”

I smile up at him with a cheesy grin, “Me to.”

He grabs my hand and yanks me through the door and pulls me to the couch as he turns on the TV. I sit and face him, “So you moved?” I say as I take in the surroundings. The house was old, a very man cave kind of feel to it all. One thing I kept wondering though was, 'is Jeremy still in school' because if I'm correct it isn't very legal to live on your own before you're 18. I guess it all made me assume he was living with someone. But who?

He nods, “Yeah, I’ve lived here for about a year now.”

I finally take the time to look at him and may I say, he’s changed a lot. Where he used to be scrawny he was now muscular. “You’ve changed a lot since I last saw you.”

He rubs the back of his neck as if we were strangers, “Yeah, thanks.”

A thick awkward silence filled the room and I tried my best to get rid of it, “I’m really sorry about your mom and dad I wish I could have been there to help you and Elena through it.”

When I mention Elena he avoids eye contact, “Yeah, thanks for the concern.”

I try to keep the conversation moving, “So why’d you move to the boarding house?”

He shrugs clearly trying to avoid some part of the conversation, “Yeah a lot changed when you moved.”

“Yeah, I can tell…. So how’s Elena?”

He looks me in the eye, “Dead.”

I stipple a gasp, “What?”

“She’s dead.”

I feel a tear role down my cheek, as a pit seemed to form in my stomach, “And nobody told me. Were you all just trying to hide it from me.”

He looks at me with the most serious I’ve ever seen him, “Yeah we all were.”

“Why?”

He shrugs almost as if none of this bothered him, “You can’t know everything. Mystic Falls isn’t everything we thought it was.”

I ignore it and keep asking about my friend, “When? How?”

He replies, “About a year ago, I moved in right after she died. And the same way mom and dad died car crash. Her and Matt were in a wreck and went off the bridge. Someone was there and tried to save her but she made them save Matt instead. When they got back she was dead.”

I feel anger begin to hide the sadness and I begin to yell, “How could you not tell me? She was my best friend!”

He stands up and places his hand on my shoulder, “She was my sister.”

I raise my voice even louder, “Still that’s no reason to have everyone I loved ignore me. For the past year nobody has texted or called or anything! I already lost my dad I don’t want to loose everyone else. But you all pushed me away! Why?”

I hear a ruckus as someone runs down the stairs. “Wooo, guys calm down.”

I turn and see a college age man, attractive, with glacier blue eyes, “What do you want?” I turn to face Jeremy, “Why are you living with some stranger? What are you into Jeremy?”

Jeremy tries to push me away almost in an attempt to get me closer to the door, “Kitty not now that’s not important.”

I turn to face the other guy again, “Who are you?”

When he locks eyes with me his eyes widen, he doesn’t answer my question. His face turns white as if he’s seen a ghost. “Wait Rose?”