Chapter 32 The Birth of Gen-Chae

Genie

On our fourth day here at Jeju, we are set to hike Mt. Hallasan. They originally planned to hike until the summit and back which we can do within a day, but I suggested we take all the 7 scenic trails instead. I was surprised when Chae-unnie immediately agreed and helped me persuade the girls. Actually, they have no choice now, haha.

We all left the hotel in our own coats. As to be expected already, unnie and I left both clad in white shirt, black track pants, and white sneakers. I decide to wear one of my black caps only to see her fixing one on top of her hair as well. We laughed at each other but started to enjoy this endless coincidences.

With my camera at hand, we started hiking the first of the 7 scenic trails in the mountain. We began with the longest, because we were informed that all 7 spans for less than 10 km each. If we won't be able to finish hiking all 7, at least we only missed the shorter distances, well I doubt that. I'm sure we will be able to hike all, given all the energy we had after a sumptuous breakfast at Dombedon with that famous Black Pork BBQ.

Mount Hallasan is Korea's highest mountain and is also a UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site. For myself who loved nature, I was captivated. There were seriously thousands of different species of plants and animals in the area! My camera never rested, actually not just from the landscapes and natural views, but also with the girls' stolen shots, um yeah, especially Chae-unnie. However, I made sure not to be caught.

We rested for lunch at a shaded area. We actually brought food with us and a lot of water, which was half drunk by now. Sounds like a picnic in the mountains. I'm very happy at that, I always wanted to camp in the mountains when I was in my teens, though this is far from camping, I'm good with it.

We continued hiking after an hour and I was right when I said we will cover all trails. Since we are tired and Blythe complained that her feet hurts, we went straight to our hotel, ordering food up for dinner.

Once my body hit my bed, I took a deep breath and released a deep sigh. I'm exhausted but I'm happy. And because I'm dead tired, I can feel a little pain again. I shut my eyes close, willing myself to sleep asap, this way, I can escape the torture, thankfully, I did.

The next time I opened my eyes, the sun is already peeping from the curtains. I turned to the next bed and saw no one there. What time is it? Glancing at the bedside clock, I was surprised to see it displaying 7:02 am.

I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes. I am still a little tired but remembering why I am this exhausted, I smiled. I wonder where unnie is because no one was in the bathroom when I went to do my morning routines.

I returned to bed, still feeling sleepy. I was drifting back to sleep when I heard the door being opened. Where might have unnie went so early? She chuckled when she saw me still in bed. I heard her place something on the table then she approached me, sitting beside my bed.

"Genie" she shake my shoulder. I am about to open my eyes when I remembered she doesn't know yet that I'm a light sleeper.

I let her shake me for 3 more times, each time being rougher I almost laugh. I finally opened my eyes and pretended to squint from the light.

"Unnie, where have you been?" I asked yawning, and it's not faked, haha.

"You woke up a while ago?" she asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, but eventually fall asleep again" I partially told the truth.

"Mmm, I went to check the girls to know their morning plans. After we fixed everything, I went to buy pizza for breakfast" she replied and my eyes widened.

"You went to buy pizza outside?" I asked surprised. Well, it's because she is still on her pyjamas that's all. I thought she wouldn't be brave enough to do so.