Chapter 16

Guys, I just wanna thank you for the AMAZING number of reads on this book! It surpassed my hg fanfic which has been up for almost the entire time I've been here, but this book has only been up for... Two or three months? YIPPEE!

_______________________________

Later, that night, we were driving down through a small village square, with brightly lit shops lining the side. The sun was finally coming up, and I yawned. None of us had realized we had been up all night. (A/N: Till she saw the sun! Xx)

"How are you doing back there, Lily?" Liam caught himself yawning at the wheel.

"Maybe I should drive." Louis suggested.

"NO!" All the boys bellowed at once. I winced at the sudden noise.

"Why is that such a bad thing?" I questioned.

"Let's just say..." Liam thought for a moment. "If we let LouBear drive for five minutes, we probably wouldn't make it home in one piece." I shuddered.

"Hey, that's what body bags are for!" Lou retorted.

Before I could even respond, my vision blurred, and my world crumbled around me.

"Now, you little brat. Stay here and be a GOOD LITTLE GIRL while I go... Talk to your mother." My dad was standing above me, running a hand through his greasy black mop of hair. He hadn't shaved for a few days, so a shadow of dark stubble lined his jaw. His eyes were yellowed and bloodshot. Under his stubble grew a red flush. He was way past drunk.

He turned on one boot- clad heel and entered the next room. I was paralyzed with fear. Even if I could move, I wouldn't be able to leave this chair.

I struggled against the rough cloth that bound me. I jerked my head up when I heard a woman's scream from the other room.

"Mum! MUM!" I cried out, thrashing about, but to no avail. I was forced to sit there whilst my dad tortured his own wife.

Tears streamed down my cheeks hot and fast. My chest filled with the tightness of despair. Finally, I broke down. I slumped forward, salty tear- tracks staining my cheeks. "Mum..." I sobbed quietly, hoping, praying that this would all be over.

Another scream, louder this time, pierced the silence. My father cried out, something unintelligible. Mum was begging now, pleading for something. "Don't hurt her!" she implored. "Do what you want to me, but don't hurt my daughter!"

My heart raced faster and faster. I heard a click from the other room, and my heart seemed to stop altogether.

An earsplitting crack broke the air. My mum screamed, then everything fell silent. A menacing cackle followed.

My father strode into the room in front of me.

"Oops." He grinned. "Looks like my finger jusss... Jusst..." His words slurred together and his eyelids drooped. "Slipped." He collapsed to the ground, the gun still in his hands.

Suddenly, someone banged on the front door. "This is the police! Open up!" Those words were music to my ears.

"Help!" I shrieked, as loud as I could. "Help me!"

A loud bang echoed through the silent house. People dressed in Police and EMT uniforms rushed in. An officer knelt next to the chair I was bound to.

"Are you hurt?" she asked. I shook my head, but pulled at my bonds. She grabbed a multi- tool from her belt and sliced through the bonds. I was too shocked to thank her.

Hot tears still streamed down my face, but they worsened when the medics pulled aside my unconscious father to reveal an ominous, black body bag.

My mother was gone.

"Lily? LILY?! Answer me!" Zayn was shaking my shoulder. "Lily!" The car pulled to a stop. I hadn't realized that I was crying until he brushed some tears away with his thumb. He pulled me into his lap and stroked my hair. I leaned my head against his chest.

"How long was it?" I asked quietly.

"Not long, but it was scary." Zayn responded. "You were screaming, calling for your mum, or something. We couldn't get you to respond. We were so worried."

I looked around at the boys. They all wore expressions of shock, worry, and despair. Then I noticed that Louis was missing.

"Where's Lou?" I questioned.

"He had to step outside. He's blaming himself for the flashback." explained Zayn.

"He did make the joke about..." Harry interjected then stopped, looking at me cautiously.

"You can say it." I sniffed.

"Body bags..." Harry continued in a low voice.

"He didn't know. I'll go talk to him." I exited Zayn's lap and slid outside, grabbing a new blanket as I went. I shivered in the pre- dawn chill.

I spotted Louis several yards away, sitting on the curb. I shuffled over beside him. I noticed his cheeks were shining with fresh tears like mine, and he was looking at the ground.

"Louis, it's-" I started.

"It's all my fault." He said shakily. "I was the one that made that tasteless joke and it's my fault you had a flashback. I shouldn't have said that. You've already had a tough enough time and I'm not helping and maybe I should just-"

I punched Lou in the arm, hard. "Stop! Louis, it's not your fault. You didn't know."

"I guess..." He sighed.

I wrapped the blanket around his shoulders. "Okay now?" I asked. 

He clasped my thin hands in his strong ones and said, "Better."

____________________

Big shout out to @redrose2001 for being the first person to ask me to update a book.  

Cheers!  

Xx Chanel