Chapter 28

The whispers and giggles followed me all the way down the hall, clashing against my ears as if they were a thousand times louder.

"What a pretender!" someone shouted.

The problem was, I couldn't figure out what made me a pretender. I had the same clothes, plain blonde hair. Was it because I was nice? The world might never be able to explain the cruelty of these students.

I shuffled down the hall quickly to my next class. I made a beeline for the back row. There were curse words and symbols of anarchy scratched into the desk, but as long as they didn't taunt me, I could ignore them.

A round, bald man took his position in front of the whiteboard. "Welcome class..." he said. His voice was stuffy, like someone had shoved balls of stuffing up his nose.

He took roll quietly, counting heads by pointing with a blue ballpoint pen.

"Does anyone know where Jessa is?" he inquired, Looking at the class with an expression of utmost disinterest.

"Thought not." he grumbled, but mere seconds after he turned away, a girl with smooth black hair and a frantic face dashed through the door.

The teacher's reaction was slow, almost like he didn't see the girl until minutes after.

"Ah, Jessa. I was wondering when you were going to show up."

"Well I'm here now." she snapped testily. She straightened her leather jacket over her uniform and clomped to the only desk open- the one next to me.

Pleasedonthatemepleasedonthatemepleasedont-

She smiled warmly, surprising me completely. With her long black hair, heavily lidded eyes, and spiky leather jacket, I expected a completely different welcome.

"Hi, I'm Jessa." she said, holding out her hand.

"Lily," I said, attempting a smile. I was still a bit in a state of shock.

"You're the new girl, right?" she asked, putting her feet up on her desk.

I nodded, turning away from the professor , who was now droning on about Russia. "Yeah, and I've already managed to tick off everyone here!" I said exasperatedly.

"Ah, no big. They're just jealous. I mean, no one's rocked a plaid skirt better than the populars before!"

I blushed a little. She thought I was better?

She seemed to read my mind. "Yes, and I say better. No one needs to see that much of the popular girl's bums. Me? I prefer my trust old jacket." she brushed off her shoulders.

"Isn't that against dress code?" I asked.

"Nah. What'll they do about it anyway?"

I laughed a little. Maybe today wasn't going to be so bad.