Chapter 10- Triple Check

_______________

Harry's POV

_______________

What Ella said to us back there kind of... surprised me. I expected her just to warn us that Lily had Depression or something, which wouldn't have made that much of a difference. I knew she ran away from school, and was, y'know, lying in a ditch...

I just felt so sad for her. She certainly had a tough lot in life. I obviously didn't know anything about her past, and I didn't know if I ever would, but it probably wasn't pretty.

Ella guided us up a flight of stairs to a long hallway with dull grey carpet. Doors lined the narrow walls on either side, with names in bold black print stuck on each door. A few doors had multiple names, but most had just one. 

"So what kind of child are you looking for?" Ella asked, as if she wanted to know what my favorite color was. 

"What do you mean, what kind? I'm not picking out a dog." I retorted, anger seeping into the edges of my voice. 

"I mean, what age, what type of personality would you like?" Ella rolled her eyes. 

"Oh, um... We wanted a 12 or 13 year old girl..." Liam replied running a hand through his hair. "And I guess we want her to be... nice?"

"Not giving me much to work with here..." She muttered under her breath. She looked down the hall, reading the names on each door. "Let's see... that sound like... Mia!" Ella led us off to almost the end of the hall, stopping at a door on the right. She produced a ring of keys from her back pocket, and unlocked the door. 

"Give me a minute to tell her. I'll let you in in a moment." She disappeared inside the room, spoke a few muffled words to the girl, then poked her head back through the doorway. 

"Plug your ears." She said dryly. 

"Why do we need to-" Liam started, but Ella had already opened the door. I stuffed my fingers in my ears just in case there was a screaming girl in there or something, but there was only a girl with long brown hair sitting on a bed. 

"What do you want this time?" The girl snapped at Ella. 

"Some nice boys are here! They want to adopt a child, and I recommended you!"

The girl looked up from the phone she had in her hands. "Who- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The girl let out a piercing scream that seemed to go on forever.

"What do we do?!" I yelled. 

"WHAT?" shouted Zayn over the uproar. 

"HOW DO WE GET HER TO STOP?" I repeated. 

Zayn's face brightened as if he had an idea. He unbuttoned his jacket and held it out to the girl. "I WILL GIVE YOU THIS IF YOU STOP SCREAMING!" The girl clamped her mouth shut immediately. 

"Thank you." Zayn said. He tossed the jacket onto the bed. The girl- er, Mia, snatched the jacket and hugged it tightly.

"You're- You're-" Mia pointed a shaking finger at us. 

"One Direction, yeah, uh-huh." Liam interrupted.

"MARRY ME, NIALL!" shouted Mia. Niall's eyes grew wide and he took a few steps toward the door. 

"You know, I just remembered, I have a er... rehearsal. Really important, a real mess. Maybe we'll come back if we have the time to visit-" Niall elbowed him hard in the ribs. "OOF! Or maybe we won't. Bye now!" The boys and I fled the room. 

I shut the door behind us. "That was-"

"Disturbing." Niall shuttered. 

"Ouch, Niall, that really hurt!"

"I bet she was nice and all," Niall reasoned, "but we can't adopt a fan like that. It would be so... loud." 

Ella exited the room behind us. "That went well, don't you think?" 

We looked at Louis for the first time since we first entered Mia's room. He was just standing there, his eyes wide open, his mouth shut tight in an expression of something near horror. 

"Louis? Louis?" 

"Oh, for Pete's sake."  I groaned. I drew my hand back and smacked it across his face.

"Thanks, mate. I needed that." Louis said.

Just then, we heard a low voice behind the door. "Soon. Soon. He'll be mine. Won't you, Nially-kins?"

Oh. 

My. 

Cats.