Chapter 23

Chapter 24

Lily's pov:

_____________

What felt like hours of waiting spurred me into action. I spotted a knife on a nearby table, sticking out over the edge point- up, held in place by a particularly large hunk of meat. Two thoughts occured to me: First, the butcher here really doesn't know much about knife safety, but more importantly, if I could reach it, maybe it would slice through the rope on my wrists.

I struggled to make the chair move, hopping agonizing inches closer to the table. My whole body burned with the strain, but I finally reached the table. I positioned myself so that my back was facing towards the knife and I brought my wrists to the blade, slowly sawing through the thick twine.

The last length of twine snapped, and I whooped with joy. I pushed as hard as I could against the door and it swung open with a wide creak. Before I could even take more than one step, I was enveloped in a massive forest of arms.

"You're safe!" was the mantra the boys seemed to cry over and over again.

"Yeah, I'm good." I said for lack of anything better to say. "I've been worse."

"What could be worse than- Oh." Louis said. He slipped off his jacket and put it over my shoulders, pulling it tightly around my chin. "You must be freezing!"

"Bad joke, mate." Harry pointed out. He turned to the officers. "What are we gonna do with her?" he asked, nodding his head in the waitress's direction.

"We'll need to take her in for further questioning, since she's a suspect. Also, we might need to ask you about some details and interview the victim." one of the men answered.

"You mean me?" I asked.

"You see anyone else locked up in a fridge?" the officer joked. I contained a scowl. Who was he to joke about this whole ordeal?

If looks could kill, I would have dropped dead on the spot from the glare the waitress shot at me like a bullet from a gun.

------------

After the officers got the appropriate paperwork finished up, the lads and I watched as the waitress was escorted into the back of a squad car.

At that moment, a strange feeling swept over me. It was intense feeling of déjà vu.

Suddenly I remembered. I had seen someone being shoved in a police car before; my father.

My knees trembled and I swiped a bead of sweat off of my forehead.

"You okay Lily?"Liam asked.

I nodded, doubting my ability to speak just then.

Flash forward a few hours and the boys and I were sitting on a couch, listening to Simon Cowell talk.

He mostly just introduced himself and started rambling on about what this whole thing was about, my adoption, I mean.

"Any questions?" Simon said with finality.

I shook myself out of the thick fog of boredom that had settled over me.

"No, no. I'm good." I said, just wanting to lie down and take a year-long nap.

"Did you hear a word I said?" Simon sad skeptically.

"Yep. Every word." I replied, crossing my fingers behind my back.