22

Amy has her foot in a bucket of plaster, working on making a mold. While Meg is reading a letter, smiling to herself, clearly from Mr. Brooke, himself. Jo writes a story on the kitchen table, particularly serious as she has her nose stuck into the paper. Beth finishes a pair of slippers for Mr. Laurence with Cathy's help as she was more adequate in crafts than her, her patience boosts Beth to slowly make them herself.

The room is messy; they've let things slide since their mother has been gone. Although, Cathy would try and clean some up, living with four sisters has proven to be a hard task, fleeing the hardship Marmee and Hannah had to face. It was never a neat house, but now it definitely isn't.

"I'm making a mould of my foot for Fred to remind him I have nice feet," Amy spoke up, her eyes stuck on her feet's mold in the bucket as she would hop around weirdly in the room which did amuse Beth and Cathy.

"Mr Brooke writes that Father is still very weak, but improving. Mr Brooke also says Mother is the best nurse a man could have..." Meg spoke so dreamily, with each word containing the man's name and how she would aw in love with his gentle kind letters

Jo has started to become annoyed with the affection growing between Meg and Mr. Brooke, she was never one to adore the concept of falling in love, "I wish all the letters were from Mother and not Mr Brooke."

"I'm grateful for any letters," Meg replies with no care at Jo's tone, with careful attention, places the letter away and starts working on an errand list. Cathy laughs at the situation, finding it comical how deeply involved Meg was with Mr. Brooke and all the attempts Jo has down to get her sister to hate him.

"I think the deep purple is very fitting for Mr Laurence, do you agree Cathy?" Cathy turns her attention back to Beth at her question, sitting close to each other on the sofa, the older responded with a slight nudge on her shoulder, "Quite. And the design is very crafty."

"I had to thank him somehow for allowing me to play the piano at his house all the time." Beth pouted, clearly not confident in her craft but Cathy was quick to reassure her, "And it's the best way to repay him!" She pulled the girl into an enamors hug that caused Beth to burst into laughter as she tries to get out of it.

Cathy let her go when Meg has begun discussing the task, "I'll go into town for groceries - Jo, can you go look into getting more firewood? And-" The eldest March sister was cut off by Beth who spoke up about her disagreement, "You all haven't been to see the Hummels. We should go."

Jo as always if she were too caught up in her book, rudely disregarded Beth as she gestures to her while speaking, "Oh Bethy, we barely have enough to feed ourselves. Besides, I have to finish this story."

" Marmee said that we-"

"Marmee said so many things we can't possibly do them all." It was Amy this time that solemn Beth's mood by ignoring the main duty. Beth sat up straight, clearly in anger but the sister didn't notice except Cathy who tries to calm her down by caressing her shoulder cautiously, "But I always go by myself and you haven't been keeping up with your tasks..."

"We! Work!" Jo let out an offended cry. "Don't worry sweet girl, we'll find a time." Megs tries to reassure the youngest but her clutter and rampage in the room showed that her words were monotone with no desire of finding the time now. "But it's been weeks."

Jo rolled her eyes at Beth's whine as she didn't understand how her sister had a packed schedule with work and labor around town, "We'll go soon, Beth." Suddenly Amy let out a shriek that broke the conversation as she yelled out, "MY FOOT IS STUCK! I CAN'T GET IT OUT!" Jo laughs and tries to help her pull her foot out, while Beth's little face turns stubborn, she doesn't like this.

"Fine, I'll go myself." She mumbles but the March sibling we occupied with Meg trying to get Amy's foot out and Jo laughing in amusement at her sister's stupidity. Catherine noticed Beth, of course, she always notices the little things.

Double-checking the house environment, Cathy deem it was safe to take a day off and help Beth. So with that, she left the house, chasing after Beth as she throws herself at her little sister's back, surprising her. "CATHY!" Beth let out a giggle, her heart gleaming in happiness that one of her sisters was going to accompany her this time and listened to her.

"Now it's cold. You must hug your sister until we reach the Hummel's!" Cathy roared out in excitement, attempting to capture Beth into another tight embrace but Beth started running fast and quickly with her pursuing her. Both were laughing and giggling till there reach their destination.

First, they visit Laurence's house, where Beth had given a servant a carefully wrapped gift she made and nicely instructed the person to give them to Mr. Laurence. Then they headed to the Hummels with a basket of supplies for them.

It was a hard day there, as Cathy help around with the poor family, Beth stayed and tried to calm a baby's cry, a panicked, sick cry. Beth never felt more glad that Cathy had come to help her today, as the task kept piling up and Cathy kept being dragged somewhere to help.

It was late when Cathy and Beth returns to their home, walking slowly, and feeling tired at most. Yet, Beth had this strange feeling, but she pushed it aside to enjoy her laughter with her sister that keeps trying to get her to smile and laugh. When they reach home, they notice Jo, Amy, and Meg kept picking their heads at the window.

They enter the house; Beth was imminently given a letter placed in her hand from Jo, "Here's a letter from the old gentleman." Indicating that it was from Mr. Laurence. "Beth look what they got you – "Amy burst out in joy and was about to spoil something grand but Jo clamps a hand over Amy's mouth as Meg takes Beth's arm and leads her to where the old piano used to stand, and in its place, a beautiful little pianoforte.

"Oh wow," Cathy let out a mumble at the sight, it was gorgeous. "What's written in the note?" Beth turns and pushed the letter suddenly into Cathy's hand, scaring her slightly as Beth told her to read it for her instead. Too afraid to know the content. Cathy let out a giggle and shook her head but speak loud and clear at what was written,

"Miss Beth March, I have had many pairs of slippers in my life, but I never had any that suited me so well as yours. And they will always remind me of the gentle giver. I like to pay my debts, and hope you will accept this gift. Your grateful friend and humble servant, James Laurence."