31

"Hey..." Laurie glance behind him and had to take a deep breath to hold in his emotions. He honestly didn't want to see another March right now when Jo had just rejected him in the worst way possible. His postures and stand just showed how hurt, mad, and broken he already is.

When Catherine stood before him, she could hold herself to wipe away the tears on Laurie's cheek. As much as Laurie tried to avoid her hand, he ended up leaning into it as Catherine was gentle and caring to him. "Did something happen? You never cried this bad."

"I never cried in front of you..." / "There's a first for everything,"

Laurie took a deep breath, his heart was aching and Catherine was giving him what he needed now so he ended up spilling everything, "I've loved her ever since I've known her." Catherine had frozen at those words, her hand wanted to be far from Laurie now as he was wounding her with his words.

But when Laurie leaned into her, hands wrapping around her waist from comfort. Catherine hated how her heart flutter at this when he was talking about loving her sister when she was right in front of him, there for him. Can't he see that her eyes were hurting? Her heart was breaking, can't he notice?

"I couldn't help it, and she been so good to me." Laurie rambled and complain, unknown that he was breaking her more than ever, "I've tried to show it but she wouldn't let me. I want her to hear me and answer me because I can't go on like this any longer."

"I've worked hard to please her, and I gave up billiards and everything she didn't like, and waited and never –"

Catherine could handle another word of love and affection coming out from Laurie. She hated it and he wasn't seeing it. She wanted him to stop, no more, and without thinking, she pulled him down by his collar and smash their lips together.

She didn't want to hear no more and didn't think straight about what she just did. Quickly pulling away and stepping back, Catherine was quick on her feet to walk away. As much as she hated hearing found words about Jo from Laurie, the thought of rejection and his reaction hurt her more.

But she wasn't able to go far with Laurie forcing her to turn around to him, "What was that for?" Catherine tried to pull her hand back but Laurie was strong, the moment she glances up at him, she regretted it.

Laurie was mad, angry, and furious at her. At her.

His emotions weren't sitting right with him. Each second something was boiling and things were turning. But he was able to make up one of the many emotions, which was anger so he directed it to her without a thought.

Laurie kept pushing and pressing Catherine to answer him while the girl tried to avoid him but Laurie kept blocking her way. Her tears were welling up, she was scared and afraid. Of Laurie and her emotions now, she was cracking and finally broke.

"I LOVE YOU TOO!"

"What-" 

"IT'S ALWAYS JO THIS, JO THAT. GOD! I LOVE MY SISTER SO MUCH BUT YOU KEEP BREAKING ME EACH TIME YOU'RE AROUND. I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU AND CARING FOR YOU. I NEVER ASKED MUCH! FOR ONCE CAN'T YOU LOOK AT ME TOO! JUST ME! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT I-I-I."

Catherine stopped, Laurie was staring at her weirdly. He was going to reject her, no, something worse. Laurie loves Jo, and if Jo knew about this feeling... Laurie was willing to forget and leave her, wasn't he? It broke Catherine's heart.

"L-Laurie, please, please." This time it was Catherine begging Laurie to look at her, stopping him from leaving her here. "Please, please. I'll be better. I'll stop. B-But-" Laurie finally snaps at her, causing Catherine to straighten herself, her eyes red and swelling. It waters too but Catherine kept it in, she wanted to see him, and she didn't want things to turn blurred.

"... You'll never be first." Laurie ignore how those words hurt him twice as much as Jo's did. He was concentrated on rejecting Catherine, putting her in place, "You'll never be, ever."

Catherine stood frozen, she watches as Laurie glanced at her for the last time. Ignoring how fragile and broken she was as he turned around and walked around. Catherine build up her last courage, and asked, "If I say once more, 'I love you,' what would you say?" Her voice was so scrawny and faded, that Laurie almost didn't catch it.

"... 'But, I don't,'"

Laurie left Catherine like that, alone in the meadow, all disorder and messy with tears. Biting her lips from wailing out which she wanted so badly too. She forces herself to look away from the scene, staring up at the skies as the tears stung her eyes.

It hurts so bad and Catherine was choking on her tears. She stayed that way, letting her feeling flow but not speaking out that her lips began to bleed from the harsh blotch of her teeth. She tried to practice her smile to Amy and Beth, later on, to not look this devastated and shattered.

"Cathy?! Where are you?" Jo's voice rings in her ears and it seems that Catherine's brain begins to function in the worst way possible. God, she kissed her sister's best friend and confessed her love. Jo would hate her so much, that she would be disgusted. "Run, Run," was what Catherine taught, she couldn't let Jo sees this, and she can't let her sister know what happened today.

With no second doubt, Catherine run that day, no one knew if she even returns that night. And the wedding of Meg and John was the last they saw of Catherine before she runs off betrothed to a man in Paris.