Chapter 30

On a dark, chilly night in Aegis Village, there was not a soul outside. In fact, the remote area that's usually bustling with activity appears to have been left barren. Due to the strange occurrences in the weather, residents of nearby villages including Vale City have been advised to stay in their homes for the night lest things get worse.

News reports about the weather were on virtually every single channel. The Rosetta Family have tried every other channel to figure that one out. It's perhaps hard to avoid, considering the chaos happening around the globe. Evelyn was currently doing the dishes as a means to distract herself. She's been worried sick about Ruby being out there, something no mother can prevent themselves from doing. Her daughter had learned survival skills, but only out in the snow and forest. Hopefully she didn't have to worry about Ruby going through a sudden, unforgivable heatwave. With the way things have been, that seemed like a possibility.

Carol hadn't left the village yet, and going by how long this weather will last, not anytime soon. She was currently sitting on the couch with her daughter laying against her. She had a swollen cheek from where Tai had struck her, and she's been quiet ever since they returned from Beacon. Her son Jack was sitting on the floor with a bowl of pretzels and a can of soda. They were all watching a movie that Evelyn hardly remembered the name of.

"Just what is going on with this strange weather?" She asked herself. "Heat waves the first time, heavy rain the second, then strong winds, thunderstorms, snow, hail, even brief blizzards! Has the world finally lost its mind?!"

"You know, talking to yourself is a sign that you might be losing yours." Carol turned and called out from the couch. She sighs when she sees Evelyn washing the same dish over and over again. She stands up and walks over behind her wife, wrapping her in a hug.

"Hey, babe." She says softly, "Come join us. You've worked those pretty hands to the bone washing that one plate."

Evelyn lets Carol pull her away from the sink. Her wet, soapy hands dripped on the floor, but Evelyn didn't have it in her to dry them. Carol leads her wife over to the coach she sat on and brings her down to cuddle beside her.

"There," Carol kisses her cheek, "isn't this better?"

It was. Being here with her family all together brought peace of mind to her. But it didn't last long enough to remove the worry she had for Ruby. Their movie has been cut off, much to their children's protest before it switched to a news station with none other than Lisa Lavender herself.

"We interrupt your scheduled program to bring you breaking news!" She says. Unlike the other times, there was urgency in her voice.

"As everyone knows, all of Remnant has been facing some strange conditions and unusual phenomenons these last few months. Now we believe all four kingdoms are under threat of the same problem. Strange weather conditions. Two out of the four kingdoms have reported unexpected rainstorms, heat waves, and freezing precipitation such as snow, hail, and blizzards."

Images began popping up on the screen. Photos of Vale being drenched with heavy rain, the skies dark with lighting. Mistral has been under a kingdom-wide heat wave, despite being in the far east of the equator. Two images of Atlas and Vauco appeared next, and they looked way different than the first two.

"The kingdoms of Atlas and Vauco are in another state of distress." Lisa continued, "Atlas temperatures have been falling drastically, enough that even the oceans are starting to freeze at a frightening pace."

She was right. Atlas looked to be caught in a heavy blizzard cold enough that ice began to form over the windows and roofs of buildings. No one was even walking on the streets.