Chapter Three

This time, I decided to listen to what the dwarves were saying. I might even be able to tell King Thranduil something useful.

I turned the corner so they couldn't see me and sat down on the cold floor. At first, they stayed quiet. I almost gave up listening for them when a conversation finally started.

"Is she gone?"

"I'm not sure. I don't see her anywhere."

"How's your foot, Kili?" Kili! So that is what the young, brown-haired dwarf was called.

I heard a quiet grunt come from what I assumed was Kili's cell. "I'm fine."

"The elf-scum missed his bones. It's just a flesh wound."

"I wish I could show her how tough we can be!" It sounded like a younger dwarf, yet not Kili, that had shouted. I practically snorted from laughter. Tough? Um...no.

"Fili! Shh! You don't want her to hear you." Someone scolded. Fili? Hmm...possibly related to Kili.

"I don't care if she hears me! She messed with my brother, so she messed with me!" I think the dwarf, Fili, responded. Ah, his brother.

"Calm down, boy! Right now, there is nothing we can do." The conversation ended there after a grumble was heard. I settled in again for a long day, but thankfully, I didn't fall asleep.

A soft breeze blew across my arms. I looked around expecting to see Tauriel or Prince Legolas, but the corridor was empty. Suddenly, I felt a hard, sharp pain on my head and everything went black.

A Little Later

"Ithildae." I heard someone faintly call my name.

"Ithildae!" As I left the dark blanket of unconsciousness, the voice grew louder.

I opened my eyes to a guard shaking my shoulders. Mykarion, the guard, looked concerned.

"Wha...what happened?" I shook my head groggily.

"The prisoners escaped! I came in here to relieve you and found you unconscious with the cell doors open!" He helped me stand up carefully. "What do you remember?"

"Well, I was just sitting here, listening to the dwarves when I felt a soft breeze blow over me. I thought it was a guard but I didn't see anyone. Then, something hit me on the head and I blacked out."

He looked like he didn't believe me but dismissed it, "Okay, just go to the throne room. The king wants to see you." I inwardly groaned.

When I arrived, I quickly walked in and bowed. "Ithildae, finally." King Thranduil stood up off his throne and walked down to me. "What exactly happened?" He said in a tone that was not friendly.

I explained to him what I told Mykarion. "Really? You didn't see anyone? I find that hard to believe." He tilted his head, trying to read me.

"Yes, my lord. I didn't see anyone." I kept my eyes lowered.

"I will be discussing that matter with you later, but for now we have the dwarves to deal with. Tauriel and my son have already left to chase them, but I want you to go. Find them and bring them back. That is your task and maybe, if you complete it I will forgive you for your insolence." He turned his back to me and walked back up to his throne. "Is that clear?"

"Yes, my lord."

"Then you are dismissed." I turned around and headed back to my room to get ready.

On the way, I bumped into someone. "Uncle! Oh, hi." I weakly smiled.

"Hello, Ithildae. What are you doing?" Uncle Darion returned the smile.

"The king wants me to find those stupid dwarves that escaped on my watch."

"Ah yes. I heard about that. Are you okay?" He looked slightly concerned.

"Yes. I'm fine." I snapped. "Just frustrated." I sighed. "I just hate how the king orders me around so much."

"Well he is your ruler." My uncle reasoned.

"Whatever...I gotta go. Goodbye." I started walking away.

"Ithildae, promise me that you will be careful."

I stopped walking but didn't turn around, "I promise." I heard him walk away and I continued on my way.

As I came to my room, I turned the knob softly and hurried in. It was a very simple room with only several furnishings. A table with a chair, a bed, a closet, and a fireplace. I walked over to the closet and grabbed what I needed before walking out.

The doors slammed shut to the Mirkwood kingdom as I left. I spotted Tauriel and Legolas up ahead and sprinted after them.

When I caught up to them, I took a moment to rest. "What are you doing here?" Prince Legolas looked slightly angry with me.

"Your father sent me to bring the dwarves back."

"What? After letting them escape he still has a job for you?" He looked at me questioningly.

"He told me to do this and then he might forget my mistake." I didn't really want to tell Legolas about our conversation but I knew I had to.

"Well then go do it." He pointed his sword in the direction of the river. "They escaped in barrels and are going down the rapids. Right now, there are orcs chasing them. We were going to pursue them but you follow them secretly. We will draw attention away from you."

I nodded my head in consent and darted away. Once I was hidden, I looked back. Tauriel and the prince were fighting orcs that they came upon while making their way down the river.

I hurried along the river but hidden in brush and trees. Stealthily, I followed the many bobbing barrels, shouting orcs, and elves that ran in and along the river. I would make my move in the dark. That is, if the dwarves escaped the orcs.

Third chapter is done! Yay! I hope you are enjoying me story! I know this isn't my best chapter so far, but it is leading up to more exciting things. Please comment, vote, and follow!!:)

Ithildaeforever