Chapter Twenty-Four

Five Years Later

I finished tying off the rope before slinging the heavy pack onto my bag. A small grunt escaped my lips as an old wound flared up. My body still wasn't back to one hundred percent after all the wounds I experienced a few years ago, but I was doing much better.

"Almost ready?"

I turned and gazed through the dense forest, trying to find Larkin. For some reason he enjoyed sneaking up on me every time time we were separated, even though I always told him I hated it.

"Larkin, I see you. Let's just go. And yes, I'm ready," I groaned, hoping he would just come on out.

Something jabbed into my sides from behind and I jumped, spinning frantically. Larsen burst out laughing and took a step back from me after giving me another friendly jab. 

"Seriously? Are you always going to act like a child?" I complained, picking up my pack from where I dropped it. I pretended to dust off some dirt from it to keep from smiling.

Larkin walked closer and grasped my hand, pulling me to him. "Only when you're around," he grinned, before kissing me. I sighed and kissed him back before pulling away.

"Let's go already," I said, heading towards our horses.

We mounted our horses and set off. The ride took about an hour, so when we finally arrived, Larkin took both of the horses to get a drink by the river while I set about to my business.

I caught sight of a patch of gorgeous wild flowers growing near the edge of the river and headed towards them. Once I was done picking a nice bouquet of the flowers with reds, pinks, blues, and whites, I made my way over Larkin just as he finished letting the horses drink.

"How far is it from here?" Larkin asked once I reached him. I plucked a small blue flower from the bouquet and tucked it into Larkin's curly, caramel hair. He raised his eyebrows, amused.

"Not too far. Just over the next ridge." I gestured behind him where the river flowed into the lake and a rock outcropping formed.

"Do you want me to come?" Larkin asked, his face serious. He searched my eyes, trying to know what I was thinking.

"If you want," I said, trying to sound casual.

Larkin rubbed my arm, his calloused hand sending goosebumps racing across my skin. "Okay."

We walked the horses the rest of the way up to the outcropping, enjoying the warm weather and the breeze that flowed from the lake, drying the sweat accumulating on our skin.

At the edge of the ledge, a pile of smooth rocks were piled up precariously with a bouquet of dried up flowers leaning against it. I halted, staring at the rocks for several seconds.

Larkin stopped as well, giving me some space. I appreciated that.

Finally, I worked up the courage to keep walking. I tied my horse to the tree nearby and brought the fresh bouquet of flowers over to the memorial.

The closer I got to it, the more memories began flooding into my mind. Dark brown hair, kid eyes. Always laughing, a smile so infectious.

I only realized just then that a tear dripped down my cheek and I had dropped to my knees. It had been five years but I still missed him.

Larkin's warm hand rested on my shoulder and I leaned into him, comforted by his warmth. He didn't say anything, and neither did I. We sat there as the minutes passed, calm and content to be in each other' company without saying anything.

At last, I rubbed my eyes dry and spoke. "We can go."

As we stood together, Larkin wrapped his arm around me, holding me close. "Can I ask you something, Dae?"

I nodded, pursing my lips.

"Who was he?" He asked hesitantly. "You've never told me who he was..."

"He... was a friend," I said, picturing his face before he died.

Larkin left it at that, and we mounted our horses once again, beginning to make our way back home. I did this trip each year and Larkin always insisted on coming with even though I had never told him who it was for.

This time, I felt as if things were different. I could almost... let go now.

"His name was Kili. And he saved me in more ways than you could ever imagine."

And that, my friends, was the epilogue of this book. You know what that means? Yep, the book is officially done! 😬 I know I know, but be grateful I didn't kill Ithildae, cause I was seriously debating that for a long time.

So anyways, thank you all so much for being such wonderful readers! I loved going on this journey with you and I look forward to many more!

Lots of love,
Ithildae