Chapter Twenty-Two

I raced through the dark corridors of the broken down building, searching for Kili. Every once in awhile I shouted his name, hoping that he would hear me and answer. The noise of the battle was growing and I knew that Thorin, Dwalin, and Bilbo were engaged in their own battles. 

I did my best to keep my thoughts from all the horrible possibilities of where Kili was, but I wasn't succeeding. He could be captured by Azog too... or maybe even dead.

NO. Stop, Ithildae. You can't think that way. 

Taking a deep breath, I collected my thoughts once again and continued on. I reached the upper levels of the ruins and heard a nearby fights. It sounded like... wait, Kili! I heard him. 

That thought spurred me on and I ran even faster towards where the sounds were coming from. The corridor I was in led out into a wide, open plateau where I found the fight. Kili was fighting a larger than normal orc, most likely one of higher command in Azog's army. The orc was by far stronger than Kili, but he was fighting his hardest, that I could tell by the determination on his face.

Suddenly, someone else jumped into the fight that I hadn't noticed before. Tauriel! What was she doing here? 

Realizing that I was just standing there while they fought, I tightened my grip on my sword and plunged into the fight. 

The orc stumbled forward when I swung my sword across his back, letting out a deafening roar. Clearly, my surprise attack had been successful.

He quickly recovered, however, and swung around to face me, both Tauriel and Kili fighting him all the while. He raised a fist and smacked Tauriel into the nearby stone wall. Her body went limp and her eyes drifted closed. 

Kili cried out her name and he took a turn swinging at the orc giant. I followed suit, bringing my sword around once again, aiming for his sword arm. If I could manage to at least debilitate that, then we could finish him off. 

But he saw my attack coming. He grinned wickedly and blocked my blow with his large weapon. The force of his block sent me backwards. I landed on my back, feeling like I couldn't breath. I gasped for air and struggled to get up while the orc loomed over me, raising his weapon.

I shut my eyes, not able to watch helplessly as the critical blow was struck. Only, it didn't come. I opened my eyes just in time to see Kili jump in front of me and hold up his sword to stop the orc's advance. He had a fierceness in his eyes that was unmistakable. 

The orc, enraged by Kili's intrusion, fought against Kili viciously. The two locked into combat ferociously, the orc making a strong attack, but Kili blocking it with a defense that was just as strong. 

However, I soon realized that it couldn't last forever. I could tell Kili was beginning to falter and stumble in his attacks while the orc seemed perfectly fine. Then it happened. 

Kili made one small mistake. He swung his sword a second too late, allowing the orc to catch his sword at an angle and wrench it from his hands. A second later, Kili was defenseless.

"No!" I shouted, getting to my feet and charging at the beast as he grabbed the front of Kili's armor and raising his weapon with his other hand. I swung my sword from behind, hoping to get him to release Kili. Instead, the orc used his raised weapon to swing at me. 

He pivoted and swung the bulbous end of his weapon towards me. I tried to sidestep, but wasn't fast enough. The mace end struck me dead center in my chest, causing pain to explode there. The force sent me flying backwards. I slammed into the ground and slid. My eyes scrambled around, trying to decipher where I was. 

Then I realized. I was sliding right towards the edge of the cliff. 

"Ithildae!" Kili yelled out. 

I reached out just as I felt myself go over the edge, grabbing for something... anything, to hold onto. My body suddenly jerked to a stop, wrenching my arm. I had just managed to grab a protruding rock at the edge, barely hanging on by one arm. 

I cried out as the pain hit me all over, but cut it off soon after, determined not to give up. Kili was still up there, entrapped by that monster. I had to save him. I had to get back up there. 

I fumbled with my other hand, trying to gain some traction. I felt a slight protuberance in the edge and grasped it, trying to pull myself up. 

But my hand slipped. I fell for a split second before there was another jolt on my right arm. I was still holding on, but barely. 

I tried again, not willing to give up. This time, I found something better to grasp onto. Clenching my teeth, I began to pull myself up and over the edge. Sweat dripped down my face and my hands were quickly becoming slick with it. I knew I only had a limited amount of time. 

Finally, I had raised myself up enough that I could look over the edge. My eyes locked onto the sight of Kili and the orc, still locked in combat. As far as I could tell, Kili still didn't have his sword, instead he was using his fists and legs. 

Kili got a heavy fist into the orc's wrist of his sword arm, causing the orc to roar out in anger. He swatted Kili off of him and swung his weapon around wildly. My eyes widened before the sight and I heightened my efforts to climb all the way up.

Kili got back to his feet and dashed towards his sword, but the orc stepped in front of his, blocking his way. He grabbed a hold of Kili again, this time in a grip that was stronger. Kili squirmed in his grip and tried to get free desperately.

"Kili..." I breathed, struggling to hold on. My grip was slipping. I couldn't hold on.

Just as my fingers lost their grip on the rocky edge, I watched as the orc plunged the tip of his weapon into Kili's body. Then I fell. 

*Cowers* *Cries* I know, I know... I'm sorry. It's another cliffhanger, I know. And I'm sorry! But I had to! This one I didn't have a choice. I'm sorry, peoples. Don't be sad. Wait, yes, you have my permission to be sad. Because this was a sad chapter. I am sad, so you can be sad. 

Okay, I'll stop. I know I'm rambling now. I'm just... ugh. This is exactly why I have put off updating this story for a month! (which I apologize for, by the way). I didn't want to write Kili's death. I really didn't... 

Anyways, I'm not going to ask you to vote, or comment, or all that stuff this time. Because you don't have to. this was a sad chapter and very depressing so I don't blame you if you didn't like it or enjoy it. I didn't especially enjoy writing it. 

Anyways, I promise I will try to get the next updates in sooner than a month. Thanks for reading, everyone!

Ithildae