Part 35

Henry and Prince Orion are currently riding horses all throughout the upper north garden to practice and scope out the general layout of the race track. Mary and I quickly notify servants to send notices of the competition to all of the guests and to gather the equipment needed to set up the race track. We also gathered all of the stable boys and horse trainers to talk about how the event will be run.

"So tomorrow afternoon, we will hold a mock race with all of the servants to make sure the track is wide and long enough. Also to measure if the viewing area is suitable." I explained to the group of servants and stable boys. They nod. One of them raises their hands.
"So how many people for each guest? And how do we assign the horses?" A tall, lanky stable boy asks.

"We'll assign two people per guest and group the horses based on size and temperament for guests to choose from. We'll have the extra horses be assigned to some stable boys and knights to make sure each competitor is on track." I say. That way we can prevent any shenanigans and make sure no one gets lost.

"Okay, let's go and set up the viewing area and resting area. They'll be at opposite sides so both the riders and nonriders can see the action." I declare, clapping my hands together.

"Yes!" Everyone says.

The upper north gardens aren't actually filled with flowers despite being called a garden. It's usually used for outdoor gatherings and hunting competitions where they release small animals for young noblemen to shoot at. Surprisingly, a horse riding competition has not been held here yet, so it might be a welcoming event for guests. The wide spacious area has already been sectioned off for a resting and viewing area for the hunting competitions so that makes it really easy for us, but we just need to make sure that the space between is wide enough for all of the horses to fit. If we have too many contestants then we might have to split it into a few groups.

"Actually, if there's enough space, we should hold different types of races. So that children and beginners can try racing." I realized.

"That's a good idea. Having many types of courses will allow everyone to enjoy themselves." Mary nods.

"We certainly have enough horses for everyone and it's not too hard to rent ponies and smaller horses for a cheaper price." She points out.

"Hah, but that's a lot of work." I sigh.

"Why don't you ask the Queen for help organizing everything?" Mary suggests.

"Hmm. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try." I wave over a servant and notify him to speak to the Queen.

While we were waiting, we decided to walk around the general area and check if everything looks okay. We haven't had an event this large since many years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if the fields look a little rough. I do expect that the royal gardener keeps it relatively tame for future events. Luckily we aren't encroaching on anything since the welcoming ball is going to be held at the inner center garden.

There were some patches that were a little rough, but overall the garden was well maintained. It'll be okay anyway since many horses will be running around.
"Oh, shoot!" I smack my head.

"My lady?" Mary looks over at me a little weirdly.

"What should we do about poop? Horse poop stinks don't it?" I groan.

"Having potpourri and enough servants to clean should cover the majority." Mary says.

"Yeah, but we can't stop people from seeing the pooping. Who enjoys seeing animals poop? Who enjoys seeing anything poop?." I kick a small rock in frustration. Poop in general is not something upper-class echelons see daily. Just the idea of seeing lots of horses pooping, maybe even on people is really gross. I wouldn't mind if a horse pooped on Prince Orion, it would be a little funny. Hee hee.

"My lady, I think you're overthinking this a little. And you should really stop saying that word." Mary raises an eyebrow at me.

"Hey, it's a natural bodily process." I shrug.

"Bodily process?"