Chapter 23

"Zeref."

"Hello Mavis.

The tension between them was excruciating. The look in Mavis' eyes screamed nothing but hate towards him while Zeref had this smug yet amused smirk in his face.

"I was surprised when you finally decided to attack, I thought it would be a little sooner. It didn't even surprise me that it was you of all people who would lead the rebellion let alone form it." Zeref said.

Mavis could only glare at him. Just like she thought he already knew her plan.

"Honestly Mavis I spent years trying to bring you back to life and when I finally did I got this wretched curse but I still welcomed you with open arms and this is how you repay me? I'm really disappointed in you."

The way he said it wasn't out of anger or betrayal it was out of something else. Something that didn't really sit well in Mavis' gut...

"I really hoped you won't pull this kind of thing again like the last time Mavis. You're a smart girl Mavis I'll give you that, so why is it so hard for you to learn from your past mistakes. Or do you really hate me that much to do this again?" Zeref said, chuckling darkly.

"I already erased your memories of what happened last time, but still knowing you, you probably regained all of them without even breaking a sweat." Zeref said.

He was referring to the "memories to dreams" spell that Lucy had done to Natsu. He was really the one who taught Lucy how to do that spell so she can turn Natsu's memories to dreams.

Forgotten memories aren't hard to retrieve. But dreams are easily forgotten as soon as your eyes open.

What Natsu experienced wasn't any different from hers. The only thing that was different was the fact that Natsu experienced those dreams for 3 months and more and only managed to figure them out when Lucy told him. But Mavis was smarter than him, she already figured it out the first month she experienced them and managed to recollect from her past life.

"I never did truly understand why you're doing this. Why don't you tell me, Mavis?"

"It's because your way of ruling this kingdom is wrong!"

"And how can you say that?"

"You're limiting their potential, you're making them follow these ridiculous rules that you made and you're making them all work constantly to death!!"

"And what's so wrong with that?" Zeref said, with an amused grin on his face as if he already knew what she was trying to get at.

"Don't play dumb with me Zeref. I'm not stupid. I know exactly why you're doing all of these."

Zeref's smirk only grew. He should've expected that she knew, after all it's not he can keep it from her. Sometimes he asks himself why he allowed her to keep her intelligence when he revived her.

"You're doing all of that so you can steal their magical energy. What I don't understand is why? Aren't you already powerful enough? Why go through all the trouble to take something you already have?" Mavis said.

"Oh Mavis you really are too smart, even for your own good. Is that the reason why I can't steal your magical energy? Did you do something so I wouldn't be able to take it? After all you know it in yourself that you hold the most magical power than the rest of them thanks to being imprisoned in a crystal for decades." Zeref said.

It was true Mavis did manage to create a spell to protect her magical energy from him.

"You still didn't answer me. What're you planning to do with all that magic?" Mavis said.