CHAPTER 13

NOAH

I was scared, worried , overwhelmed.
How would Alex be poisoned? More so, in the club?

My grip on the steering wheel tightened.
The speed was intense and I cared about nothing right now than to question Aliyah.

I got into the club after parking my car at the parking lot.
"Noah! What a surprise. It's isn't night yet." The club was quite empty.
It did run mostly at night so right now it was just Aliyah and a few of her employees.

"I know!" I guess she noticed the frown on my face.
"What's wrong?"
"Alex got poisoned." I watch her gasp.

She looked quite upset.
"How's she? Where did it happen? You can tell her to stay home till she recovers"
"Of course. She won't come working here when she's sick. Look Alex got poisoned alright, and it was here. She got poisoned in this club" I gave her a stern look .
"Here? Who would want to poison her? Are you sure she knows what she's saying?"

"Alex is not a fool Aliyah. I want you to investigate this before night because you won't want to see my bad side" I didn't wait for her to utter any other word.
I walked out and went back to my car.

I felt really worried for Alex and it bothers me. I really did want to visit her  even against her wish but I'm kinda busy.

Today is the party, the one my dad's throwing to host the mafia from Africa. Interesting! And I have to be there.

He did say something about my presence being extremely important as his son.

___________

The guests were beginning to arrive.
I stood by the door welcoming them all in. The ladies were dressed extra nice and the men just as nice too.

Everyone did have a partner except I. It did make me think of Alex.
I did try calling her earlier on again but her friend picked up and told me she was sleeping.

Well... She needs the rest and I was quite happy she survived the poison.

The hall was quite large and well decorated with the most classy materials.

I did watch my father's business associates walk in. The president being a good friend of my father did send his representative.

They were all in the mafia. Since my father's reign was over, they got another man in the mafia to contest for the presidential election.

It was all just to get the mafia to run smoothly in the country without any government creating unnecessary rules.

A big flashy porsche pulled over right outside.
I did see the guards roll out a red carpet right at the door of the car.

It seemed the important guest from Africa had arrived.
Someone got down the car and opened the back door of the car.

A dark skinned man got out of the car accompanied by two dark women.
One looking quite younger than the other.

They walked in and I greeted them trying to sound the best I could.

My dad came out of nowhere to welcome them so did my grandfather.

I watched the men chit chat and the women, settle for some seats.

"Come ! The one we have been waiting for is here?"  Uncle Malcolm pulled me away from where I stood.

He took me to the man who was surrounded by my father and grandfather.
" This is my son Noah!" My dad pat my back with pride." He's the one I told you about!"
No doubt I was surprised.
My dad did talk about me to someone?

"Ah, Noah! Quite young and good looking too. Noah, that's my daughter " he points to the younger girl who he had come with.
"Her name is Lisa! "
She was quite beautiful with an elegant smile but sadly, I was already taken.

My dad pulls me away to a corner with such great smile on his face. Then my uncle came over too.
The two men looked at me with such pride and I couldn't help but wonder why and they were looking at me in such manner.

"Son!" My dad pats my back.
"Yes dad! Why are you guys looking at me that way?"

He exchanged glances with Uncle Malcolm and they both giggled.
"You see that girl..." My dad points to Lisa and I nod.
"That's gonna be your wife!" There was so much happiness in his voice.

I stared at him in shock.
"Wife?" I uttered in disbelief and he nods..
"Look my dear, Harrison is the best in Africa. We need to form a strong ally with him and the only way we can achieve that is if you marry Lisa his daughter!" Uncle Malcolm explained as usual. Always explaining stuffs.

"This is a joke. You must be kidding. Dad you always said love is an enemy and marriage is of no use. So why this. What the hell is this?" I yelled in annoyance.

"I know son. Calm down. We did think to surprise you today. And this has nothing to do with love. You don't need to marry for love. Just think of the power, the authority and the influence we would gain. Think about business, money, fame... These are awesome stuffs my dear!"

I stared at my dad in disbelief. I couldn't believe this.
Not at all.
"Look dad, I don't care about all those shits. If you did tell her dad any thing about us getting married, go take that back because I'm not getting married to her. Understand that?" I walked out on them.

This is unbelievable. Marriage?
Get married? She's beautiful and all but I can't get married to someone I barely have feelings for.
I had feelings for Alex. Just her.

The first woman i ever got attracted to.
They can't make me do this.
They did make decisions for me but not this. So not this.

I walked out of the building to a garden close by.
I had to relax. This was alot to take in.

I leaned on a rail trying hard to curtail my anger.
"I understand your anger. I don't want this either but I've no choice. My dad wants to secure a good relationship with your family" a soft feminine voice drew my attention.

It was Lisa. She was standing there looking all sober. I looked away in annoyance while she took steps towards me.

"How did you know I was here?" I didn't even spare a glance when I asked her.
"I saw you walk out and you weren't looking quite happy I did suppose they bad broken the news to you" she muttered.

I turned to her.
"You realize marriage is a big deal and unless you love someone you don't marry that person."
"I do know!"
"I don't love you Lisa. I don't think I ever will. So we can't get married. We certainly can't."

I felt her place her hand on my back.
"Take it off!" I mumbled trying very hard not to be too harsh to her because my mood right now, was one of the worst.

"I'm sorry but we just have to do this for business. Who knows we might get to love each other"
I looked at her with disgust " take that back. We won't. We will never. I don't love you and I never will. Go tell your father I said that"

I did want to walk pass her but she pulled me back. Such strength!
"I came all the way from Africa for this event. If you ain't aware, our wedding date has been fixed and this party is our engagement ceremony."

My face darkened" engagement ceremony?" And she nods.
"You can't treat me like trash. I'm gon be your fiancee soon. Better get used to that because we are getting married. Just so you know, you ain't the only one hurt here. I had to give up alot for you. My boyfriend, my studies, my passion. So you better get ready to give up yours" she snapped.

"Well Lisa.." I forcefully took her hands off me. " You had a choice. You made your decision. I have my choice and I'm gon make my decision."

I walked out on her in rage.
"It's gon happen. With or without your consent" I heard her say but I chose to ignore it.
I can't marry her. Not when Alex is there.

I did promise Alex to always stay with her, to never break her heart.
I can't go back on my word, never!