Chapter 18 Queen

I adjust the strapped knife on my thigh before quietly going into the bedroom.

Two piles of hair spill out of the blankets as I go around the side of the bed.

I poke Syrians cheek in attempt to quietly wake him up. He doesn't budge though.

I gently grab his upper arm and pick him up, I wrap my arms around him and his head slumps on my shoulder.

I gently scratch his scalp and he stirs in my arms. A couple more prolonged seconds of this and his head finally pops up.

He rubs his eyes before looking at me. He looks dazed and confused before recognition flashes across his face and breaks out into a small smile.

"Hi" he whispers.

"Mornin." I whisper back as I gently place him on the bed.

I repeat the same action with Seri and she give me a loud content sigh as she wakes up.

I pick Syrian back up and glide down the stairs towards the informal lounging area.

I sit them down on the couch and back away.

I look both of them in the eyes before saying, "don't be afraid."

They look at each other confused but their little heads nod nonetheless.

"Kamau." I slightly raise my voice in the direction of the kitchen.

Kamau comes out with his shoulda slumped and squeezed into himself. Trying to appear smaller. It's smart but he looks stupid.

"Stand straight and hurry up your walking to slow. We have things to do today."

His back immediately straightens and he takes long strides towards me.

I look back towards the kids to gauge their reaction, scared.

Their eyes go wide and they cling to each other.

Time for a new tactic.

I grab Kamau by the shoulders and then pull him against me into a hug.

He stiffens under my touch before relaxing and wrapping his arms around my waist and back, squeezing me flush against him.

I look towards the kids, their confused.

"He's squishing you!" Seri shouts.

Plan backfired.

"It's called a hug, he's not hurting me."

I try to pull away but he doesn't budge. "Let go."

He squeezing me one more time before he slowly lets go.

I spin around with my arms outstretched. "See, I'm not hurt."

Seri looks at suspiciously but Syrians the one to speak. "Kiss then."

"What?" Did I hear that right?

Syrian bring his hand to his mouth and Mimics the action of kissing another. "Kiss him on the lips."

I roll my eyes.

"Yea kiss him!" Seri shouts.

"Kiss him Queen Circe!" Cela and Kolvar  yell, appearing out of nowhere with Rakia, Sansa, Levos, and Selkie behind them.

Great, an audience.

I turn back to the kids.

"If I kiss him, you won't be afraid anymore?"

"Yup!" Seri cheers.

"Mhm!" Syrian nods happily.

I turn back to Kamau, his mouth agape and cheeks probably hotter then the sun.