Chapter 29 King

I can't stop thinking about it as we all walk back towards the castle.

What is inside this chest?

It's heavy and I feel weight shifting inside with every step I take.

"Circe," I hesitantly ask.

"Nope, not telling." She reads my mind and shuts me down.

I sigh.

It could be weapons.

Knowing her it's probably weapons.

"Where are we going." Syrian asks Circe while laying his head on her chest, playing with her long braid that's available next to him.

She glances down at him before speaking.

"This place, Beluson, is where you, Seri and Kamau are from. We're all going to where I'm from. It's a place called Asthlim."

"Asthlim?" Seri butchers it with her underdeveloped mouth.

"Yes," Circe nods "there's a whole bunch of different people there, I think you'll have fun. When we get there don't be scared, they won't hurt you even though they might look a little scary. Me and Kamau will protect you if anything were to happen anyway."

"There's scary people there?" Syrian shakes his head. "I don't want to go he whispers scared."

"Hey-" Circe starts but Seri cuts her off, "I don't want to go ether, I don't like scary people."

Circe sighs and turns to me. "Hold that chest tighter."

I look at her confused but still does as she says, next thing I know she's placing the two toddlers on top of the chest in my arms, acting as if it's a seat for them.

They weigh practically nothing, so thankfully I still have a firm grip on the crate.

She pushed both of the kids so their backs are against my chest, Circe staying close and her hand hovering in case they fall.

Clarice just silently watches with amusement on his aged face.

"Listen," Circe starts, looking at Seri and Syrian. "When you guys first met me you thought I was scary, right?" She waits for the nods of their heads before continuing. "Well am I scary now?" She asks and they shake there heads.

"See these people are the same way, they might look scary but there nice people, and even if they don't know you I can tell you with confidence that their gonna love you, and we don't harm the people we love. Okay?"

She waits for them to say something, but they don't.

Circe is about to speak but someone does before her.

"What about you?" Syrian asks looking Circe in the eye, "do you love us?" He says uncertainly, like he's scared for the answer.

Seri looks solemn like her brother.

Circe's red eyes widen slightly at the question.

She sighs and palms her forehead while shaking her head.

She picks her head back up and looks at the twins.

"I guess I never told you guys but yes I love you."

I know she's not talking to me but my heart can't help but speed up at her words.

"Really!?" I can imagine Seri's blue eyes twinkling right now.

Circe nods, "yea, I feed you, buy you clothes, toys and I bathe you and do your hair, of course I love you."

I wince, that probably wasn't the best explanation on to why you love someone but I chalk it up to her not loving many people.