The vet

"Mom, come on" said Sunghoon. "I've been taking care of her for years now."
"It's just that I'm worried" said his mom. "I haven't left Gaeul's side since she was a puppy."
"Neither have I" replied Sunghoon. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of her! Don't worry about us and just enjoy your vacation mom."

Sunghoon's mother nodded. He was right. She deserved her week long vacation in Jeju island with her husband.

"If there's anything, you call me" she added nonetheless.
"Yes, mom" replied Sunghoon.

He knew she needed to give a hundred pieces of advice before being physically able to leave him and Gaeul. There was nothing he could do about it, except listening and nodding, even though he was already an adult. It didn't matter to her that he was already 23 years old, he was still her baby, and so was Gaeul.

"Dad will be home to pick you up any minute now" he said when he saw an opportunity to speak. "Is your luggage ready?"

And just like that she turned off the "worried mom" switch and on the "worried traveler" on.

She started mumbling what she couldn't forget, counting on her fingers her id, her toothbrush and so on.

Sunghoon smiled, she wasn't focused on him anymore, and soon he would have the whole house to himself, which was a pure banger.
No rules, no having to talk about his day to anyone! He would be able to do anything he wanted, from watching the ice skating competition on the big screen, not just his computer, to eating chicken until he'd pass out. This kind of things.

A minute later, his father came home, a big smile on his face.

"Hi Hoon!" he said, closing the door. "Are you ready honey?"
"Not even a hello for me?" she asked, chuckling.
"You're right" he replied apologetically. "Hello to you too."

He came closer and kissed her, which Sunghoon decided to ignore.

"But yes, I'm ready" she confirmed.

~

Sunghoon sighed. He was finally free!
His parents had just left, after having given a hundred more indications. As if Sunghoon didn't know how to clean the house nor how to take care of Gaeul.

"So, just you and I" he said.

Gaeul sat down next to him, giving Sunghoon the cutest stare she could.
And just like that the party started. Sunghoon studied in the morning and played video games during the afternoon. Sometimes he would throw in a little trip to the grocery store, just to buy some more protein and snacks, both for him and Gaeul.

Speaking of Gaeul, the dog seemed pretty happy to be with Sunghoon. Ever since the latter had started studying at the University, he had had less time to play with Gaeul. However, right now, he had the whole week to be with her. 

Heaven.

Sunghoon had taken her to the dog park, walking down the river and even had purchased a new ball to play together.
Needless to say that Gaeul was living her best life... until the Wednesday evening.

Sunghoon had just opened up a bag of dog treats and had started giving them to Gaeul. It was a new brand of treats and Sunghoon was pretty glad, because unlike the other brand of treats, this one did smell good.

Wait.

It smelled too good.

Sunghoon's eyes opened wide as he looked at the  bag of treats and his fear became reality. He ran to the kitchen's and opened up his pantry, instantly seeing the bag he was looking for.

A bag of dog treats in the middle of his own snacks.

The two bags looked so alike that he had mixed them up, and he had given his dog his own snacks.

Chocolate snacks.

CHOCOLATE SNACKS.

Sunghoon literally heard an alarm going off in his brain. He had just unintentionally poisoned his dog.

VET. NOW.

The following ten minutes were a blurr. Sunghoon remembered looking for the car keys, wrapping his dog in a blanket and calling the clinic. The answering machine had indicated that his vet wasn't on duty that night, and that apparently he had to call a special emergency number that would guide him to the now-on-duty vet. Sunghoon hadn't really understood everything but that didn't matter. He needed to hurry and just find a vet. Now.

After a few minutes of driving, he finally reached the clinic. It was on the ground floor of a house, but a panel with a little dog and a cat at the entrance clearly indicated that it was a vet clinic.

"Okay Gaeul, I'm gonna go with you" he said, getting out of the car and taking Gaeul with him. "I'm sure the vet will be kind and they are going to take good care of you. There is no need to be afraid."

He didn't really know if he was saying that for Gaeul or for himself, though.

He could feel his dog trembling, so he tried to keep a good face, he wanted to be reassuring.
They walked up to the door and Sunghoon soon discovered it was open.

The room was small, but functional. The on the right, there were several chairs for the owner and pets waiting to be taken in. In front of him, there was a little counter that was probably the reception. Of course, at this time of the night, there were neither receptionist, nor other patients. Just Sunghoon, his guilt and Gaeul. Next to the counter, Sunghoon saw a blue door.

"Good evening!"

Sunghoon looked up and felt like he had just been slapped the biggest slap on Earth.
The guy in front of him was literally the most beautiful person he had ever seen.
He had dark hair that fell a bit onto his forehead, but not completely, big eyes that could showcase emotion effortlessly and...

"I thought I heard you guys come in" added the guy.

Sunghoon knew he was being talked to, but he could get over them. He had never been so mesmerized before. He never thought he would have been so obsessed about something so trivial.

"I'm doctor Sim" added the vet, offering to shake Sunghoon's hand.

But the latter could only see one thing.

Doctor Sim's lips