Chapter 12

September 1992

"Dad," Hermione giggled as Sirius continued to fret over her. She had thought that after the first year drop off to the station, he would be better at letting her go. That was not the case. Draco had been determined to wait for her to finish but Harry had insisted they go find a cabin before they were all gone and had practically dragged the young wizard aboard with him. "You're going to make me late for the train. What if they leave without me?"

"They wouldn't leave without you, the brightest witch of her age," Sirius scoffed and smoothed her curls. "Now don't forget that your father has a floo in his office so anytime you need me, you can always firecall me."

"I know," she smiled sweetly, adjusting Crookshanks carrier in her hands. "I promise I'll write every week."

"Every day wouldn't be enough," he grumbled as he hugged her fiercely, pointedly ignoring the snickers coming from behind him. With a sigh, he released her and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Alright then. Off you go. Break some rules for me will you?"

"I'll do my best," Hermione giggled, kissing his cheek and waving at the others before running to the train. She had barely gotten on before the final whistle blew. As she made her first steps down the aisle, she regrettably ran into a body. "Oh sorry!"

"Oh," Ron said, looking down at her. "It's you."

"Hello Ronald," Hermione sighed, adjusting as Crookshanks hissed at the boy.

"Well come on," Ron said, nodding his head and walking down the train corridor. "Let's go and find Harry. I'm sure he's found a place for us to all sit."

"Ok?" Hermione said, completely confused by his behavior. Ronald Weasley had always been a confusing wizard for her. He adamantly stood by the notion that Draco was pure evil incarnate and yet he wanted so badly to befriend her brother whom he knew was best friends with Draco. He treated her hot and cold depending on who was around and what she was doing, but for the most part, he wanted nothing to do with her. Here he was though, dragging her along with him to find Harry and a cabin.

"Harry there you- YOU," Ron groaned walking into the cabin and sitting beside Harry with a scowl on his face as he looked across at Draco. "What are you doing here?"

"We always ride the train together," Hermione said as she took a seat beside Draco and let Crookshanks out of his carrier. She didn't understand why he couldn't grasp the concept that Harry and Draco were closer than they would ever be. There was nothing Ronald Weasley could do that would change any of that.

"He's a bully, just like his father," Ron spat out, fully turning to Harry. "You saw how his father behaved in Diagon Alley."

"My father was just reacting to yours," Draco glared and Hermione grabbed his hand.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked as she pulled out her book, Draco inching closer so he could read with her. "Did something happen while we were in Diagon Alley?"

"Oh you were searching for some book in the back," Harry said while Ron continued to glare at Draco.

"We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy," Arthur spoke.

"Clearly," Lucius sneered. "Busy time at the Ministry. All of those raids, including the pointless ones at the manor. I do hope they are paying you overtime."

"The raids are not pointless," Arthur said. "You of all people should know that."

"Tell me, Arthur, what is the point of demeaning Wizarding families that have been around for centuries if you aren't even being paid for it?"