Chapter 32

Author Note: To those of you who read Nice Things... this chapter might look a little familiar 

Numbness was all that was felt as Sirius disapparated directly into the lobby of St. Mungo's hospital. It felt as if his body was still back in the alley. A piece of him was missing.

"We need help!" Remus shouted, holding Hermione close to his chest. His grip on her body was tight, protective. "Please somebody help us!"

It wasn't long before healers were rushing towards them, ripping the young witch out of his arms and running diagnostics on her. Sirius couldn't make out what they were saying. It was as if he was in a tunnel. All he could hear was the roaring sound and all he could feel were the waves of pain as he held his daughter's hand tightly in his. Her first smile, the first real one flashed through his mind as he looked down at her pale face.

As they entered the room, the tiny curly-haired little girl looked up and beamed when she saw Remus. Her smile caused a domino effect and soon all three adults were smiling brightly as well. She held the book tight to his chest and stood up. "Hi," she said quietly before biting her bottom lip.

"Hello Hermione," Remus said softly as he and Sirius approached her. "I did promise to come back today, didn't I?"

"We need to know what exactly she was hit with. How did this happen?" the healer asked as they walked down the hall toward the all too familiar wing that the Black family used. Sirius had just resided there a few months ago as a patient himself.

"She was out in muggle London," Regulus explained, following behind with Lucius, his eyes never straying from his niece. "She and her friends were attacked by death eaters. Bellatrix Lestrange."

"What did she hit her with?" another healer asked, continuing to cast over their little wolf.

"It wasn't her," Remus choked out. "It was Dolohov."

"And she's alive?" Lucius breathed out, his eyes wide. Regulus's grey eyes turned towards his friend, curious about what he was getting at. "If it's the spell I think it is-"

"He was silenced," the werewolf stated as they all entered the room.

"Then that is why she is alive," Lucius stated. "It's one of his own origins. It presents as a purple flame that burns through the body like fire, killing its victim from the inside out."

The words had barely left his mouth before Sirius was hunched over violently ill, wretching at the thought of what was happening to his daughter. Regulus immediately ran to his side, supporting his weight as Sirius's knees buckled.

"Thank you for the information," the healer nodded, vanishing the sick with a wave of his wand. "I'm going to need you all to leave the room."

"No, I'm not leaving her!" Sirius shook his head.

"She's our daughter," Remus argued.

"And your daughter is in my care which makes her my priority. To give her the best care I can, I need to be focused. I need you all outside," he demanded, his wand arm ready to force them out if need be. "I promise I will take care of her."

"Come on," Regulus stated softly, leading his brother towards the door. "We need to give them space to work. Trust me, I don't like it any more than you do."

"What if they hurt her? What if they are working with them?" Sirius demanded, his eyes never leaving the healer and his daughter, even as he exited the room.

"He's not a death eater," Lucius stated. "I know him well. He will take care of her."

"Moony," Sirius choked out, looking at his husband. The moment their eyes locked, gut-wrenching sobs fell from them both as their bodies collided, clutching onto each other for support. "I promised I'd always protect. I promised...I-I"