Chapter 26

September 1, 1995

By the time Hermione and the others left on the Hogwarts Express for their fifth year, the young witch had a new outlook and a determination that while her fathers couldn't wait to see her in action, worried them as well. From the moment she learned that Delores Umbridge was going to be a teacher at Hogwarts, she pushed away all of her fears and concerns and started studying and preparing for the year. While she hoped that her father would still be her teacher, she couldn't count on it. Every day she begged him to teach her anything and everything she would potentially be learning over the school year. She wanted to be prepared for anything.

Draco listened to the others while he held Hermione close, idly playing with one of her curls as the train made its way through the Scottish Highlands. He had only been able to spend a limited amount of time with her over the summer and he wanted nothing more than alone time with her but he knew that it wasn't going to happen. At least not while they were on the train with everyone else.

"I'm off to find where Red is. See what she is up to," Blaise smirked as he stood to make his way out of the cabin. "Being locked in here with you all is suffocating to us who are still free from the ball and chain."

"You know," Pansy commented. "It's an attitude like that, that keeps you from something like this."

"Well, in that case, I will continue to make sure to behave exactly like this. That way all the free birds don't mistake me for one of my friends who have lost their senses to love," he smirked.

"You should try it sometime," Theo smiled brightly, causing Daphne to lean over and kiss his cheek. "It's quite rewarding."

"You disgust me, Nott," Blaise scoffed dramatically. "I'll never forget you, my fallen friends. I'll carry you with me forever."

The cabin erupted in laughter as he slipped out. Blaise Zabini had been resolute in his mission to never fall victim to the affairs of the heart and they were all very aware of that.

"And you all say that I'm dramatic," Theo chuckled. "What time do you lot have to go to your Prefect's meeting?"

"Not for a little while," Hermione spoke, her eyes never leaving her book in her lap.

"Studying already Mi?" Harry chuckled. "Come on, we only have a little bit of time before we are loaded with reading and essays and exams. Pay attention to Draco. He's not preening like his beloved peacocks right now."

"Shut up Potter," Draco rolled his eyes.

"Has anyone read this absolute rubbish?" the curly-haired witch asked, as she held the new Defense Against the Dark Arts book up.

"Well... no," Harry said slowly, trying not to upset her further. "My dad said it was a waste of time to read anything from that book. That we didn't need to worry about it because Uncle Moony would teach us what we needed to know."

"Rubbish," she muttered. "Absolutely mental."

"Mi, darling are you alright?" Pansy asked, looking at Harry first and then her friend.

"Do you know who Delores Umbridge is?" Hermione asked sharply. The look in her eyes made Harry think of the distinctive look Padfoot got when he was angry about something.

"Well she works at the Ministry," Daphne said. "I've heard my father complaining about her incessant need to impress Minister Fudge."

"She's the woman the kept my fathers from adopting me," she practically growled. Draco ignored the sparks of magic at the ends of her curls as he stroked her hair soothingly. He loved how passionate she was and nothing about it frightened him. The same couldn't be said for their friends though. They all would try to temper her anger while he preferred to watch it flow freely in all its beautiful chaos. "She keeps trying over and over again to have my father alienated from the Wizarding World. She's a horrid woman."