Chapter 8: Northerton

We walk toward the gate of a larger town, well, technically a city, and the second largest in the kingdom.

Northerton.

Master had chosen it because of the large number of travelers always coming in and out, so blending in will be easy.

Another reason Master chose it is because due to the city being so close to a large mountain range, there will be plenty of powerful monsters in the area, which also means powerful adventurers.

"How is that a reason for residing there?"

I had asked. "Should we not avoid high-ranking adventurers? Especially if some of the people hunting us could be stationed there?"

"No, because like I told you before, no-one alive ever saw my face. That means we only need to act unpredictable to throw anyone off our trail, while avoiding suspicion. In this instance, being as close to our enemies as possible is preferable as people never search right under their noses. The only downside is having to deal with people, and also we will need to go far away for you to train fencing or magic."

On the way here Master had begun to teach me how to cast spells, beginning with the basic skill of water creation, however up until now I've only been able to create a few droplets.

It has been an entire month-and-a-half since we started being on the run, and although we haven't seen a single sign of pursuit since the forest, thanks to my Master's meticulousness we have lived as if our hunters are hot on our trail.

"When the entire kingdom is against you, no care is wasted. All it takes is a single slip, and you might just find yourself pinned to a corner." She likes to say that every time I complain about our new lifestyle. But I can't fault her for it since she is keeping us both alive.

I just miss being able to relax.

As Master and I reach the gate we are forced to stand in line behind a cart for identification checks.

"Did you expect this?.." I whisper to Heather.

"Of course I did. What did you expect would happen when we enter a bigger city? They need to make sure to keep track of any troublemakers that might enter."

"But-" I begin.

"Next!" The guard gestures for the cart to pass through and signals for us to come forward.

I naturally still have my ID from being signed up at the adventurers guild back in my hometown in the form of a capsule hung about my neck. Well, my proof of identification isn't the capsule of course, but instead the papers that are inside of it.

It is the most common method for adventurers to carry their ID's, as that way it is protected from any wear and tear that might occur.

My Master however.. Does she even have identification papers? Come to think of it, I never even asked Heather about her time before she became a hermit. I wonder what she was like.

"Kade Adler, you are free to pass."

I walk past the guard and look back at Heather.

"Heather Hansley, you are free to pass."

Not just a regular id, but an adventurer's papers. Makes sense since she is a pretty powerful fighter, but the color..

The top of the card I note is yellow, same as mine, which means that she got it sometime within the last 7 years, since that was when the guild chose to switch color from purple.

"First things first, we need to find a grocer, a jeweler, a weapon-smith, a pharmacist, an inn, an-"

She pauses as she turns to see my blank and confused expression.

"Excuse me, what?" I understand the jeweler and the inn, the jeweler to get some money to pay the inn, but the rest?

"Sorry, old habit. We need to first go to a jeweler to acquire some spending-money, and then we need a place to stay, some healing potions from a pharmacist, you need a better weapon." she points towards the sword at my side. "And lastly a place to stay."

"But, I thought your jewelry is too precious to let ordinary people get ahold of?" Enchanted items like my Master makes are so rare that only the king is rumored to have any, and a single piece is probably worth a couple thousand gold coins. If anyone is to realize..

"Yes.. No-one can find out about my enchanted items, so before selling them off I will have to disenchant them.." I can see the sadness in her eyes as she utters those words. Aside from the countless hours poured into perfecting each and every one of those pieces in her collection, she really loves shiny stuff.

...

"What?! Only six gold coins for both of these?!" I jump as Heather slams her fists into the counter. "The craftsmanship and jewel-cutting are exquisite! These are worth and LEAST ten gold coins if not more! Fifteen even!"

"I am sorry miss, but this is all I can give you for items such as these. You are lucky I even offer you six! Any other jeweler would hardly give you even five!" Says the chubby jeweler-smith.

He wears a brown leather apron stained to be nearly black from all the soot and grease, his balding head reflecting the light from a dim lantern hung from the low ceiling. Underneath the apron he is wearing a thick woolen shirt that has been patched up in more than a few places.

"What are you saying?! The other place we were at offered me seven gold and eight silvers! And do you know what I told him? No way José! If you want my jewels you need to pay me at least twelve! And at that I stormed out of his disgusting little shop of fakes." At this I perked my ears, for this was the first jeweler we had visited.

"He was an awfully rude fella you see, kept looking me up and down and trying to shake my hand. My companion here could just as well have been invisible!"

"Hmm.." The man seemed to eat the story up. "That must have been Geoffrey.." he mumbles a little to himself. "In that case, why not eight gold and two silvers?"

Master seemed to be in a deep conflict but reluctantly agreed. "Fine. But only because you seem to be such a hard-working and honest fella." She added.

Ohh, she's good.

...

"Let's find an inn?" Master all but hums as the door slams behind us.

"Lets." I agree.