Chapter 3: Radishes and Arachnid

A week later I lay in the woodshed, my whole body aching. I can hear the rain pattering on the bark roof. Apparently a lesser healing spell can get rid of sore muscles alongside any minor injuries. Previously when Heather, I had learned of her name that very evening, healed my arm. She had used a spell called "greater heal" which can heal almost any injuries, including a stab through the heart- as long as it is cast in time.

After I had chopped up the wood during my first day here, she had come out of her hut and casted a heal spell which miraculously cured my aching muscles. But since then every time I ask her to do a repeat, she just grins and tells me I should hurry up and learn how to do it myself.

As if! She definitely just finds it amusing to watch me suffer. I haven't even been given a wand yet, even less gotten any instructions.

Heather says that our practical magic lessons can begin once she deems me strong enough, but she is more than willing to hand out the theoretical knowledge.

"Your body isn't capable of wielding the correct amount of mana yet Kage, not by a long shot. Since our bodies act in a way like a catalyst, it must be built in such a way to withstand all the energy coursing through it. If you were to try casting a spell now, you would likely be torn up from the inside out. Nothing I couldn't fix, but it is still not something I'd wish upon anyone. So the faster you toughen up, the faster our lessons can begin." Thereafter she had flicked me on the forehead which left a bruise.

Another piece of knowledge she handed out is the truth about the witch hunts.

"Unlike what is commonly said, the King did not make the decision with the Church's support, it was in fact the other way around. The Church could not suffer letting mages with power to topple the world order to stay around, and of course the different monarchs couldn't agree more. As you know, it is near impossible for an adventurer to achieve rank-S, however, this was not always the case. In the past only those who have wielded magic and overcome what is humanly possible can rise to take that spot, since without the use of magic, there is only so much someone can do."

Apparently my new Master has been alone for a veery long time, so I think she is happy to have someone to talk to. However she refuses to admit so.

I sigh and sit up as the rain shows signs of slowing. I have been doing a multitude of tasks this past week, chopped enough firewood to last a village through an entire generation's worth of winters, (sliiight exaggeration) I have picked a few baskets of strawberries, learned about several herbs, built a fence around the clearing to keep wildlife out, collected water from a creek three times a day and sometimes enough to fill a bath, and a few other minor tasks that don't deserve mentioning.

Right now I need to collect some roots for dinner. While I have been collecting lots of food items, fortunately I have never been asked to cook. I have done dishes though. Every time.

...

I wrap a black cloak which Heather had lent me for an occasion such as this. Apparently it is enchanted with a spell that repels water, so despite the downpour my clothes stay dry.

I eye some of the shrubs I am looking for, and while driving a little shovel into the ground, I pull the shrub up by the roots to reveal little red bulbs. Radishes.

After pulling up about half of the radish bulbs, I gently fill the resulting holes with dirt so that in the future I can return to the same spot.

Deciding to rinse off the radishes I begin towards a nearby creek, the same from which I normally fetch water from.

But before I can get anywhere I freeze in place.

There, in the distance, I see a spider. A big one. Well, moderately big. About two feet tall. An arachnid monster. I judge the monster to be half a foot bigger than the last one I fought, which is good.