Chapter 46: Battle Mage

I fall backwards as a ball of fire instantly appears in my face and nearly singes my eyebrows.

"Whoa! You didn't warn me it would be that fast!" I glare at Heather. When she had demonstrated the fire orb spell it had slowly built up up to the final size, not sprung up instantly!

Heather, who is sitting down amused in the grass, is trying to hide her smile but fails.

"I might as well tell you now, because now it might really affect you personally." Her smile fades as she stands up. Now a serious look covers her face.

I tilt my head in interest. Something that might affect me? Just me?

"From what I've been picking up about you, I believe you are a melee battle mage." She puffs out her chest and points to me proudly with a smug look. "While I don't envy you because of the inherent disadvantages it comes with, your class is named for its usefulness in close range combat."

After waiting for her to continue for a few moments and getting nothing back I question further. "Aand what does that entail?" I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. Up until now, Heather has amusedly rejected telling me anything about my class. I had assumed that she had some underlying reason, but was she just not telling me to keep me curious?

Heather lets her outstretched hand fall to her side again. "Well, as I explained to you once before, each mage class should in theory have an equal chance to manifest, and is determined at birth. So for example, one has an equal chance to become an enchanter such as I, as to become a beast tamer or a healer class. There are a few exceptions though that don't quite follow the general rule. That dreamwalker that we believe to be around, is a race-exclusive class, making it rarer than most." Heather gestures for us to sit down and we both do.

"Your class however, is an outlier. It isn't a race-exclusive spell, but it is still abnormally rare. The reason for this is because of an abnormality with the wielder, rather than an actual class. In fact, it can't even be classified as a class at all since you also have a class other than your, "melee battle mage" status, although it is more difficult to find due to the inherent disadvantage with being a battle mage, which is, simplified, very low control."

I feel like itching my head as I contemplate everything that was just said. So being a battle mage isn't a class, but it kind of is, and I also have a separate class that I have no idea about because being a battle mage makes it difficult to find out? And the result is that I simply can't control the spell I'm casting very well? That just sounds all bad!

"So.. That sounds like a pretty big setback.. You make it seem like there is some bright side to it though? What makes it suitable for fighting?" If it's good for fighting it has to be pretty awesome anyway. I hope at least.

"Yes. Like you just experienced while creating a sphere of fire, it appeared almost instantly. The advantage with being a battle mage is near-instant casting, which is perfect for spells that either buff yourself or surprise close-range enemies in situations where you simply can't miss. You'll understand soon enough."

Aha.. So the flames appearing intact is just something that happens to me? I feel both happy and disappointed at the same time. If being a battle mage isn't actually a class, what am I though? As I've understood, I am currently set up to be just an aggressive jack-of-all-trades? That isn't quite what I had in mind. I wish I could have something more specific like Heather's enchanting. That would be pretty cool.

"What did you mean when you said it is because of an abnormality with me?" We both pause in silence at my question.

"I don't know the specifics. Either it is because either your body allows mana to flow abnormally well inside of you, or the opposite, but I'm not entirely sure which, most likely the first. The bottom line is that when you cast, the mana leaves you way more rapidly than in a normal person, which in turn leaves you with less time to actually influence it in ways you would like. Hence bad control but fast casting."

I guess that makes a little sense? Maybe? I'll just assume it does and ignore the confusing bits.

"So, what advice would you have for me while training because of this?" I should at least know how to adjust my style for what I am.

"I'd assume you should just keep on training like always. Learning to have better control will be harder, but not impossible. Eventually you should really focus on learning chantless casting to really emphasize your speed advantage. But not yet of course. The chance for a spell to backfire is even greater for you."

"Great." Now I'm even more nervous to cast..

"Try casting fire orb again, but this time hold it. Try to treat it like you did when you learned water magic."

With water I couldn't burn myself though.. Only get a little wet. Although I suppose if I do get burned I can just splash myself with water since I know how to do that?

"Living flame who burns thought cold and despair, grant me your strength. Orb of fire." Like before, the flame almost instantly appears between my outstretched hands, although this time I am sure to hold them a bit from my face.

Now looking at the flame from a safe distance I realize something. It really is beautiful. Had keeping up the spell not been such a strain, I would have nothing against simply staring into the swirling flames as they continuously spin and turn inside out. It is surprisingly calming to stare at, but Heather's voice breaks me out.

"That is enough now. If you hold it too long you'll get blisters on your hands. You aren't immune towards the flame you know."

I immediately pull my hands away, for the first time realizing the intense pain in both my hands and forearms, allowing the orb to dissipate into the air without my mana sustaining it.

I shake my hands back and forth in the air as a reaction to the pain, and bend over as my teeth involuntarily clench together.

"Here." Heather calmly stands up and forms a cold ball of water, which I gratefully stick my hands into.

She could have warned me a little earlier.

"I didn't think you'd be so concentrated." She smirks as if she read my thoughts. "I only meant for you to do it until the heat became too much."

I suppose I should have realized that if you hold fire, I'd get burned. Although in my defense, magic isn't really common sense.

"Give me your hands." Heather lets the water fall a little to my disappointment as the stinging sensation returns. "I'll cast healing."

"Thanks.." I reply in a meek tone.