Chapter 43: Paperwork

We headed back to the guild immediately after putting together the stretchers for the dead adventurers. The bodies we of course didn't just walk through the streets with, rather, we handed them over to the guards by the city gate after explaining the situation, and they took care of everything from there. Grim went with them just to make sure it was all handled as it should, as well as to give his testimony.

Linda and I however said our goodbyes to Grim and headed back to the guild.

"So.. The test was cut short, but what does that mean for my results?" I ask Linda worriedly as we enter the guild. If I don't rank up I can't join the expedition. While she did say I fought the snow-howler well, I never actually finished the test.

"Don't worry about that." She smiles. "You pass. While the test was technically incomplete, due to special circumstances I can still pass you. So I'll be able to get you onto the expedition in no time." Linda turns to me and winks.

We walk past the front desk, getting a few glares and murmurs, but once the door to the office corridor closes, everything goes silent. The door is thick and blocks nearly all sound.

Linda leads me to her office, and opening the door, she instructs me to wait. "Please have a seat, I just need to grab a few forms real quick."

I end up left alone in her office, and I awkwardly look around as I take a seat on the couch. Despite the fact that the window faces the setting sun, not much light comes through because of the building outside. But despite there not being any candles or fire, the room is still bright. Confused, I notice the chandelier glowing with pale blue crystals. Magic?

Just then Linda comes back.

"Alright. Sorry about that, I had to get the forms for us to fill out so you can rank up." After taking a seat across from me she notices me glancing up at the light and giggles. "You curious about the chandelier?"

I pull down my eyes and look at Linda. "Yea.. What are those?" I recall the similarities between these crystals and the ones on Heather's crystal map back in the cabin.

"I'm not too sure myself really. The guild is distributing those, and I was just lucky enough to be able to get my hands on some." She opens the lid to her inkwell and dips a pen in, tapping on the side a couple times to get rid of the excess ink.

"Is it magic?" There is no way that works if it isn't.

"No. Apparently it's some technology the royal alchemists figured out. They claim they use something called science."

"What's that?" I tilt my head in confusion.

"They figure out how nature works, and then use that to come up with and prove new theories." Linda spreads a couple of papers over the table and fills a couple things in, before looking up at me.

"But.. Doesn't magic also work because of nature?.." I ask, now furrowing my brows.

Linda lets out a laugh. "I suppose so, but there is a clear difference."

"And what would that be?"

"Those in charge decided what is, and what isn't. But you know.. You speak as someone who has first hand experience." She smirks and for a moment, her eyes suddenly appear to look at me with the fullest knowledge. The same eyes that I saw when she accidentally barged into my room that one evening. But just as suddenly as that glint in her eyes had appeared, after blinking, Linda's eyes switch back to normal. "While I know better, others may not. I advise you to not speak so carelessly."

Seeing her eyes shift so suddenly, I quickly glance at her hands to make sure she isn't reaching for any hidden weapons, which thankfully she is not.

"W-what? No! Of course not. It's just that.. How am I supposed to know if something isn't magic, if it looks completely unreal?"

"Calm down. I get it. I'm just kidding you." Linda giggles. "But can we get to filling these out? It would be nice to finish sometime before dinnertime."

"Oh.. Yes. Of course."

I guess I could have been just imagining stuff.

...

"Right! Congratulations Kade! You are now officially a C-ranked adventurer! So now I just need to collect your current guild card, and when you come back tomorrow morning, I'll have a new one ready for you with your updated information."

"Thanks, that went a lot smoother than I imagined. Last time I ranked up wasn't nearly as big of a deal." Ranking up to C is the first time a test has to be conducted, since before then you only need to take on a quest one rank above your own, and once completed, you can request a new rank.

I pull up the capsule which always hangs around my neck and unscrew the lid. Taking out the papers inside I hand them to Linda.

"Thanks! Would you like to have a new set of papers, or a card?" Recently the guild had issued out ID cards, which are better quality, but less practical to carry around.

"Papers. I want to be able to have them around my neck like I always have."

"Makes sense. Well. You're free to leave now. I have a few more things to deal with before taking the day off."

"Then thanks again. See you tomorrow!" I stand up.

"Bye Kade, have a good evening."