Chapter 58: Pursuit

From the point of our first contact with the monsters dwelling in the dungeon, not wanting to run into anything unawares again, our pace slowed significantly.

The trail of blood after Vanessa's arrow goes a long way down the cave, until we finally come across the corpse of what looks like a giant porcupine.

While we all expected to find it at some point, none of us anticipated it would be like this.

The dead monster had been completely ravaged before we got here. The head is completely missing, with blood splatter covering the walls nearby, the smashed head is about a stone's throw away.

Upon closer inspection, it appears as if the monster had nearly completely healed the wound where Vanessa hit her mark, but there are also wounds from something else. Claw marks from some beast has shaved the mostly-spike-covered porcupine's left side completely clean from fur and spikes.

It appears as if there is an even stronger monster somewhere nearby, although thankfully it looks like this one is purely a melee opponent, so hopefully we should have more time to react.

Cautiously we continue, but somehow we still don't run into anything.

"Why isn't there anything here? We know for a fact that something is nearby, but why haven't we made contact?" I throw out the question hoping someone has the answer.

"Either we are going down a less densely populated tunnel, or whatever that's out there is avoiding us. The monsters here quite likely are intelligent, although that is hard to judge." Linda answers seriously.

As if on cue, we hear more monster noises down the path, along with a rumbling sound.

While avoiding contact with monsters is technically ideal, but for us wandering through the endless dark, we would all rather have the peace of mind that there is one less thing trying to kill us.

Whatever is out there will need to be dealt with sooner or later. Preferably sooner, and on our terms. So we rush forward in our formation. Heather in the front, me and Linda just behind as backup, and Vanessa in the back.

The noise can be heard multiple times ahead of us, but no matter how far we seem to chase it, it never sounds any closer. Until the tunnel suddenly changes.

During this entire journey, the torchlight can only reach so far, and beyond twenty-or-so steps, everything is utterly dark. So when the cave suddenly expands into a massive cavern, we have no choice but to stop.

The top of the cave is so high that our torchlight barely even reaches it, and the only hint as of how tall it is, is by the tiny reflections from crystals that presumably cover the entire ceiling.

The walls are the same stone as before, and before we have the time to discuss on how to proceed, a growl and a series of steps are heard rapidly nearing our location.

The three of us with blades ready them to point towards the sound, while Vanessa knocks an arrow onto her string.

With a speed as fast as a mountain lion, a massive crystalline-wolf-monster-thing enters the torchlight.

Immediately, it is hit by Vanessa's arrow, but it only bounces off, taking a small chunk of white crystal with it, and not slowing down in the slightest but instead launching itself towards our nearest party member, Heather.

Heather, seeing that she doesn't stand a chance in a head on fight with this little time to prepare, she dashes to the side, avoiding the beast's slash by a good, but uncomfortable margin.

"Piercing flame!" Linda steps forward, and just like Heather did previously, she cuts her chant short in order to cast quick enough, and then launches a thin beam of fire which travels straight through the crystalline wolf's heart and exiting out on the other side, causing it to collapse and stiffen with a last shrill intake of breath.

I feel useless, being the only one not having time to engage in that fight. Had I been the one that the monster charged at, I would have been dead. And if I had been the one responsible for casting that spell, Heather would have probably been dead by now.

I am fully aware that I'm only along to play a supporting role, and I'm definitely not qualified to be a part of the vanguard, but I still can't help but feeling a little down about it.

"Sorry guys. My arrow didn't do anything. I should have aimed for the eye." Vanessa suddenly speaks with a voice that sounds as if she let us all down.

I see. So I'm not the only one who feels like this. Although honestly she hasn't been useless and I have, so I'm rightfully ashamed.

"Don't sweat it." Linda says, wiping her brow. "You had the fastest reaction out of all of us, and despite not being able to pierce this enemy, there will come one eventually that you'll be suited for."

"Kade. You too." Heather suddenly addresses me, acting as if she read my thoughts. "Now wasn't your time to shine either. Remember that you're more useful to the rest of us if you stay back from ill matched opponents. In terms of efficiency, only engage when you know you'll come up on top. The party will cover for your weaknesses."

"That's rich coming from the hermit witch." Heather spins towards Linda who spoke.

"Well at least I've got the guts to actually train my own apprentice." She responds sharply.

The two mages glare at each other, turning the mood nearly as dark as the caves around us.

Echoing, I can hear more sounds drawing near from several directions. 

"I don't know what bad blood is between you two that I don't already know, but I'm pretty sure this will have to wait."