Chapter 37) The Day of The Assembly

Art by: mildmild1311 on Twitter

It was the very day of the assembly now. Everyone had now gotten their day of rest, and at the early sign of daybreak, the students were expected to meet one another through their classrooms. As for the staff and other special guests, they were to help with setting up the main entrance of the academy to ensure the event went smoothly.

As Flayn was not yet a student, she was amongst these special guests. She had not minded this duty. For years now, she watched as students came and went about the academy, graduating and then finding new lives for themselves. She befriended as many of the students as her brother allowed her, but ultimately, she knew she would never be amongst them. According to her brother, it was not her place to do so. For now she complied, but Flayn would always meander with her thoughts on occasion about an alternate life spent within education.

As she and Seteth walked together to ensure the archbishop's assembly went smoothly, Flayn once more looked at her brother. His usual serious face was plastered over it. Thinking back, it had been years since Seteth was at ease. It was this reason Flayn could hold onto her respect for him. As much as she disliked his dutiful surveillance of her actions, Flayn had to struggle with the idea that he did this all out of love. That is what she wanted to tell herself, even if her annoyance at his imposed boundaries broke her patient to no end.

"Brother, what will this month entail if all of this is transpiring now?"

Looking towards her, he admitted his defeat. "I don't know." By now, the two had been passing by the main classrooms outside. From their gazes, they could see the likes of the twins, Hanneman, and Manuela preparing their classrooms before the students came in. "Whatever happens, I expect that everyone can hold their own in this time of unease. The professors included should do so, seeing as they are a centre-piece to this operation."

"Do you think that the twins will be able to manage?"

He was caught off-guard by this question, but still readied his answer. "I can already tell that our professors, Hanneman and Manuela, are struggling with the preparations for this month. I'm going to try to limit our new members' workload to compensate for their fresh start, but I know that it will be a hard month for us all."

"So it will..."

Flayn thought back to the night that Beleth had helped walk her home. If she was to be teaching at the academy forever, then it made Flayn happy that she would have a friend for once who did not leave a year after. Maybe it was even possible for her to converse with her brother when she got the chance. She had seen him on occasion, but his aura had given off the allure that maybe he was a difficult one to converse with.

"I have asked you this before, but would you permit me to ask you to go into detail on your opinions regarding the twins?"

Once again caught off-guard, Seteth took some time to stare at his sister. Her clear expression of intent made him realise she was more serious of his views than curious, and so he answered as honestly as he could. "The brother is smart, knowledgeable, and is the reason we have suffered very minor injuries in the Black Eagles' monthly missions - whilst the sister cares for everyone but herself, making her the one most important to worry for. They compensate for each other's strengths, but it is when they act alone that their weaknesses are laid bare."